Image hosting by Photobucket
Monday, March 20, 2006
What is in a name
I thought I might take a moment to explain our new name. It is an interesting story in my opinion.

When we first started on the journey of international adoption I read as much as I possibly could. One thing that was mentioned over and over was to keep a journal. I tend to be a mediocre journalist, but I thought this would be a good idea.

I drug D with me to the bookstore to find just the right journal. We spent a good 45 minutes in the journal section of the store. It had to be just the right book. It couldn't cost too much, had to have lined pages and couldn't be too cutesy. I kept coming back to one, but it was hardback and I wasn't too sure about it. D was getting impatient and I was just totally indecisive. Finally he looked at me and said, "Let's just get this one." It was made by a company called Flavia. It was purple a blue with greenish feathers and it read "Unexpected Miracles" on the cover. I looked at it and thought that it just might be perfect. We purchased the journal.

I began writing in it November 27, 2004. I have written in it periodically since. I keep track of websites I find, quotes, poems, bible verses, email addresses and other such nonsense in it. I started writing letters to our child. The last entry was from November 2, 2005. It had made its way to a forgotten shelf in my office.

When I was packing up my office stuff on Tuesday so I could paint I ran across the journal. It was like God was once again whispering in my ear, "things happen for a reason."

You know we had wanted to start a grant foundation when all is said and done. We had planned on calling it The Journey Home but the problem is I did a google search. The Journey Home is a new age channeling website. When I picked up the journal I instantly knew that it would be called Unexpected Miracles.

The loss of a child should never be considered a miracle, but sometimes in our greatest sorrow we find the smallest of unexpected miracles.
5 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Amen, sister

Blogger bethee said...
I'm so glad I found you again !!! :)

Blogger Rhonda said...
Very cool. Love the name and I can't wait to see your organization going. I bet it helps a lot of people.

Blogger Jennefer said...
Your post gave me chills. Thanks for sharing that- I think it is a perfect name.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I've always wondered about the name. I guess I've always wondered about the implication of expected miracles.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006