Image hosting by Photobucket
Saturday, April 29, 2006
Oh sweet Latte!!
Tonight we are writing from downtown Seoul, South Korea. One of the perks of paying through the nose for plane tickets to fly with Asiana is a free hotel room when you have a super long layover. I am figuring that 26 hours counts as super long.

When we arrived at the airport we asked the nice airline lady and she directed us to the correct spot. We had to pass through immigration to enter Korea. The cool part about that is they stamped our passports. Neat!

Once through immigration we found the Asiana desk and there was a nice little man waiting for us. They had arranged a hotel, dinner, breakfast and lunch for us. Then we had 2 options to get into town. a) wait for the hotel shuttle that arrived at 7:30 (it was 5:30) or b) pay for the "airport limousine" aka. the bus and the hotel would reimburse us. We took option b.

The bus ride in was fascinating. Korea is a beautiful country. The people are so friendly. I will say that I have never felt so white in my life. Despite being one of 4 white people in the area we don't get stared at like we did in Russia.

We enjoyed our complimentary dinner at the hotel restaurant and then set off on a little walk. Our hotel is located in the fashion and shopping district. It is crowded to say the least. Absolutely fascinating. I thought New York was busy. This place puts the big apple to shame!! From our window we can hear some shop hawking its wares over a loud speaker. I did have the opportunity to snap a few photos.

Upon our little walk about we discovered the best part of the day. Starbucks. Actually we had passed 2 on the way to the hotel, but this one was right in front of us. Of course it has been over 9 days since we had been so we had to stop. We did find mugs for our Brother-in-law and ordered a coffee. I had to settle for a latte since they did not have 1/2 n 1/2. I also may be up all night since Koreans evidently don't believe in decaf.

This happens to be a nice little side trip. A bonus if you will. Now we have to prepare to sleep on a rock hard bed and endure the Sunday that never ends. Wish us well.
13 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yaaaaayyyy for Starbucks!!!!!!!!! Did you fall to your knees at the counter, or were you able to contain yourselves? Hee Hee! W will be so glad to hear about the mugs!! Thanks!
We wish you a safe and smooth ride home!
Love, Lee

Blogger glo said...
Happy to hear of your fun little sidetrip. Sounds like the sirline has taken very good care of you. Wishing you a wonderful flight back to USA. Maybe even catch lots of z_Z_Z__Z's so you can arrive somewaht rested.

In HIm

Gloria

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
Wow, sounds like a cool mini-vacation after your trip to Russia. I'm hoping we get that route...

My husband is going to be climbing the walls in Russia without a Starbucks. Everyone please start praying for me now.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Can't wait to see you guys - try to get some rest on the plane :-)) See ya at SeaTac!! Luv, Mom

Blogger Rhonda said...
When you saw the Starbucks, did it have a spotlight shining on it and the sound of trumpets? LOL. So glad that you're headed home, but I wish it was WITH Pickle. I read the last two posts. I hate to hear about the last visit with Pickle, but like Tricia said, its one step closer to being able to make the second trip.

Here's to a good flight home.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I sure wish I'd spent some time in Seoul while we were there. Why didn't I at least stay a night? My daughter is half korean, it would have been nice to have had the experience. We only had about 4 hours in the airport each time.

Wishing you a safe trip home!
Serena

Blogger Elle said...
There was no falling on the knees at the counter, but there was a little slobbering on the bus window. The first one we saw was as we were driving through town. I do have a photo of Suzanne hugging the sign in front of the one we bought the coffees at.

As a matter of fact we are getting ready to head out to another for breakfast. They have 1 American breakfast and it is eggs. That won't do for D.

Blogger Yeah So said...
It's great that you got to see so much..you will be able to tell Pickle about all the wonderful adventures you had to meet him! SAfe travels!!

Blogger Deb said...
You are seeing a lot of the world on this trip. What a wonderful adventure.
Pray you had safe travels today and that you readjust to home fast.

Blogger Jennefer said...
What an exciting trip you have had. I am wishing you well.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
What a great trip! Thanks for keeping the blog updated for us to enjoy! Pickle sounds wonderful; I just hope we can sqeeze in a visit next time we're down in Oly!! Get some sleep recover from jet-lag quickly!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi! and welcome back to the US. I'm a lurker and have been following your blog and praying for you for MONTHS! I thought I'd give you my own welcome home present by "coming out". I'm so happy to hear how well things went on your trip.

My husband and I are waiting on a referral from Tyumen, Russia. It's so fun to be able to be a part of this little community. Thanks for your part in it. I hope your court date is soon and you're back on that plane in no time :)

PS I can totally relate to the excitement over Starbucks!!

Betsy in Charlotte, NC

Anonymous Anonymous said...
So maybe I should have told you my passion for Starbucks mugs...oh--well maybe next time. Hope you made it home okay. I look forward to hearing in person all of your adventures. IL

Counter
Established March 19, 2006