Image hosting by Photobucket
Sunday, September 17, 2006
Good Bye Khabarovsk
Our last day in Khabarovsk finds us full of tantrums. Pickle is still testing us with food. He is trying to be picky, but we know full well he will eat what we feed him. He is just being a poop and trying to tell us he is all done when in reality it is just a way to get us to feed him something that he really wants. He will also pitch a fit if we don’t give him his milk or juice at the end of the meal. We did learn that it is best to feed him in courses. If you put too much food in front of him or try to give him his liquid with the food he just plays with it. We also learned to give him the stuff he really likes (read: bananas and yogurt) at the end of the meal.

Pickle is very confused by what exactly is going on here. We pack his favorite things when he is sleeping and then he doesn’t notice as much. Fortunately there are a bunch of toys that were already here and we are leaving them so he still has stuff to play with.

He slept very well last night and that was a good thing for mommy. He is finally starting to whimper a little when he wakes up in the night. He doesn’t give us any indication that he needs comfort when he is sleeping. It becomes difficult to gauge when he is waking up from his nap and such.

We are way too excited to finally be headed home. A part of me will miss this place as it will be a long time before we come back. Khabarovsk has its charm, but it is tiring when you can’t read anything or communicate with anyone.

We want to thank all of you for your prayers, support and comments. Reading your comments has been the highlight of our mornings. It is our routine to have breakfast and then go straight to the computer. Of course we are looking forward to the computer at home and unlimited internet access. I am personally looking forward to getting this blog back to looking normal. I miss all my side graphics. (I removed them to make the blog load faster here)

I will try to post photos on all of our posts once I get home too. I hear that the beta version of blogger is much better at posting photos. I hope that is true.

Well… we are off for the first leg of our adventure home.
23 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm the anyomous poster from the other day (Illinois) that came out of lurdom, I figured I'd comment again since I can't stay away from your blog. My DH has been laughing at me all afternoon because I keep coming here to see if there is an update! (He's just as interested as I am btw, but he has to give me a hard time.) I even stepped away from football today to check in, and that's huge. Nothing takes me away from a game!

Again, thank you for sharing your story. Both of us have thourghly enjoyed reading about your journey, and having our eyes opened to something we knew very little about. I have friends who are waiting for a court date to go back to Russia and bring their son home, so I'm reading all I can to learn how and what I can do to be supportive to them. Little did I know that by doing that, I would learn as much as I have and be touched by so many stories.

Pickle is very lucky to have such wonderful parents.

Safe travels!

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
It seems unreal that you are coming home with Pickle after all of this time, but that's what makes it real as well... knowing how much dedication and hard work it took to make it possible. I hope you have a wonderful time in Moscow, and all of your long haul flights go well (I'm sure there will be a story or two...).

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Elle, its been wonderful following your journey. Have a wonderful trip home.
Serena

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We're sooooo glad this part is coming to an end! Mike and I have already converted the spare room to the baby's with a day bed and toys!! We also know that you'll never want to part with Pickle so we'll wait patiently for days when you'll want an escape, movies, dinners out or whatever. We really are looking forward to the new family and hope to begin some new adventures with the three of you!!!
So excited to be Grandparents,
Mom and Mike

Blogger bethee said...
Can't wait for the continuing saga of Pickle! He is SUCH a cutie!!

Good luck on the trip home!!!

Blogger Ani said...
Have a safe trip home. Can't wait to hear all the travel stories (and see more pics, of course).

Blogger Carolina Mama said...
You realize the first female space tourist is blasting off from over there today! :) Is it you - the quick jet home! :)

Blogger Jenny said...
Safe travels. Will be thinking of you world trip with Oleg.

take care-Jenny

Blogger 6blessings said...
Hope travel goes well.

Blogger The Belanich's said...
Congratulations he looks perfect. You have been in our thoughts and prayers!!! Wanted to let you know we got Kyra today... and thus far all is well!
safe travels home!

Sandy B

Anonymous Anonymous said...
By the time you read this, you will have completed the first leg of your journey home! YAY! I hope O. was not too scared or unsure of the airplane ride, and that you all got a little rest. I have been thinking of you 3 so much during the day and wishing we could be at SeaTac when you arrive. I hate to miss such a joyous moment! I will have G. email me pics the next day, so I won't feel as if we missed too much. As W. said, we will have a whole life a head of us to make family memories with you and O. and that is what is important. Know we will be thinking of you at 8:00 p.m. (ish) Wednesday, and your happy homecoming!
All our love, Lee., W., and B.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hope that your flight to Moscow went well with little Oleg. We are so excited and happy for you all. We wish you safe and happy travels on the trip home Wednesday. Hugs, Aunt Jan

Blogger Lauri said...
Hope you have a safe trip to moscow... things seem to move really fast once you get to that point. Our agency allowed us to register with the consulate at home which speeds things up, but I know not everyone allows this. I know what you mean about not being about to read or communicate. Sounds like pickle is being a typical toddler.. I cant wait to read about your adventures in motherhood... our children are the same age.


Take care
Lauri

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hooray, I'm so happy you are almost on your way home! Big changes for Pickle but it's obvious he feels safe and loved with you so it will all be okay. :-)
Fly safe!!!

Blogger Mary said...
Just catching up on your blog (short vacation). So wonderful that you are on your way home. I also checked out your pics...what a sweety!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I saw the Pickle pics last night and he's a beautful boy! I know you're proud and I'm so happy for you. Your daily accounts have been great. You've learned so much about him already and it sounds like he's settling in too. I guess this is the adoption equivalent of coming home from the hospital. Back to "real life" - only nothing is the same! I hope Pickle is good on the flight and that all the stuff you have to take care of in Moscow goes quickly and smoothly.

Blogger Melissa said...
It seems that you really are learning quickly how to deal with all of Pickle's quirks. I am so happy for the both of you. Have a safe flight to Moscow. You are almost there.

Blogger Denise :o) said...
You're almost home... Have a safe trip to Moscow and enjoy the city before you go home for good. I hope Pickle wasn't to afraid of the flight. :o)

Blogger Yeah So said...
SAFE TRAVELS!

Blogger Rhonda said...
I am praying for a smooth plane ride. Hopefully Pickle will sleep through most of it.

Blogger ferenge mama said...
safe travels to you -- thanks for keeping us all posted. I soon as I get home everyday I log on and check on your progress... it's such a thrill so see your family!

Blogger Suz said...
You're probably in Moscow by now. I hope everything progresses smoothly for you there (including Pickle) and that you'll be on your way home lickety split!

I can't wait to hear more of the story!

Blogger Lauren said...
Have a safe trip back!

Counter
Established March 19, 2006