Image hosting by Photobucket
Saturday, September 16, 2006
Pickle's new best friend
Well today is our last full day in Khabarovsk. Tomorrow Lena comes at 2:00 to take CS and Paypay to the passport office to pick up the kid’s passports. Then we leave for the airport at 4:00 for our 6:00 flight. We are really hoping for a happy baby on the 8 hour flight to Moscow. Please pray for me.

We spent our last day out on the town. We took a walk this morning just to get out of the apartment. Pickle took a short nap and Irina paid us a visit. She brought all of our Embassy paperwork and Pickle’s original birth certificate and Adoption certificate. We also got copies of the photos that were taken for his passports. We are calling them his mug shots. Quite funny!

This morning I started to do some packing. Pickle helped by kindly unfolding the clothes that I had so nicely folded. Pickle snatched a pair of CS’s underpants and I went out to the living room to find where he had stashed them. No where to be found. I went back into the bedroom to find my boy wearing his dad’s underpants. He was also so nicely trying to wear a pair of mine as a shirt. And oh yes… I did get photos. Am I going to post a photo? Hell NO!!! Would you want a photo of your dirty underpants on the internet? I didn’t think so. I can say, though, that it was probably the single most hilarious moment of this trip. I was laughing so hard I was crying.

This afternoon we took one last trolley ride into town to meet another American couple. We met Debra, but her son was napping so we didn’t meet Ron or Nikolai. We had a nice chat and then were off to find the Archaeology museum. We walked into this tiny little museum and found a woman sitting at a desk. She tried to tell us it was the Archaeology museum. We kinda figured by the sign outside. We paid 280 rubles for the 3 of us. I asked if I could photograph and she said that would cost me 100 rubles. Fair enough. I was so glad I did pay to take photos. I got one that is simply priceless. The museum is upstairs in this building and at the top of the stairs was the little lady we had heard about. In all museums there is a little woman that makes sure you pay enough attention to each and every exhibit. Sho nuff! She took one look at Pickle and scooped him right up to show him the displays. He did not care at all. We were free to look around at the displays while the lady watched my child. It was quite nice! She saw that we had paid our rubles to photograph and she made sure we did. One or the other of us had to pose with Pickle at each of the non glassed in exhibits. She took Pickle from room to room and told him about the artifacts and taught us that Riba is Russian for fish. We told her that CS was an archaeologist and she said that Pickle would grow up to be an archaeologist like his daddy. (gawd I hope not) Pickle loved the museum. He ohhed and ahhed at all the artifacts. Man this boy is going to be a smart one!! Woo hoo!!!!! My priceless photo was of Pickle and his little museum buddy.

We took the trolley bus back to the apartment and are planning on enjoying a quiet evening at home. Lucky for me the Khabarovsk Amur Hockey team started pre-season (or regular season) and their games have been on TV. In fact there is one on right now. Man they suck.
9 Comments:
Blogger Yeah So said...
How hilarious. I suppose this woman was speaking in english? The poor boy must have been so confused, with being only two and all. Can't wait to see that picture. Enjoy your evening, and have a safe trip HOME!!

Blogger Melissa said...
Kids always get into stuff they shouldn't. Funny though. Glad that he enjoyed the museum. Almost there.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Have a great time in Moscow! Take LOTS of pictures, K? I was wondering, do they have an Irina-type person for you in Moscow, or do you have to navigate your appointments yourselves?
We wish you a safe trip (and you'll all be fine on the plane)!
Much Love, Lee, W. and B.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
P.S. I gotta ssee that underwear photo!!!! Please!!!! :)
L.

Blogger Maggie said...
I don't blame you for not posting that photo! I wouldn't either.

Sounds like the museum was a successful trip. I'm so glad to hear that many of the people are very welcoming. It's so contrary to everything I was prepped for by my agency.

But then my agency is the one that told me to only wear sedate grey or navy blue clothes... when I saw the pictures my friends took in Tyumen of the people who live there I had to laugh at the clothing suggestion. Bright colors everywhere and nothing was sedate!

Blogger Maggie said...
p.s. I've got a the picture of you and Pickle on my desktop right now. Talk about priceless!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Must have underpants photo!!!! I'm glad you called CS's underWEAR underpants because my husband is forever correcting me on this. MEN don't wear underpants! They wear UNDERWEAR!!! Too Funny!!! I just love Pickle!!! Going today to take care of the home front.
Mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Funny stories, you guys will be in our thoughts and prayers for a smooth flight to moscow and then home sweet home..
C&D

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Hope you had a nice flight to Moscow...can't wait to read all about it. ~ Gaye

Counter
Established March 19, 2006