Image hosting by Photobucket
Wednesday, September 13, 2006
No Rocks for you (literally)
Thank you all for your participation in this week’s coffee talk. I know I usually give you a few days to post your responses, but seeing as my family really would egg my house if I didn’t post everyday, you only get one day.

I read the 13 responses I had by this morning and the majority of you voted for option B. So I thought I would try it today. It did not work so well. He had been sleeping for a little over an hour and I checked on him and he was rocking. I went in and put my hand on his stomach like I do at night and he woke up. It may be that he really is one of those children that only needs an hour nap.

Normally he is pretty agreeable after nap time. But oh not today buddy. We had planned on going out to the river this afternoon. CS started to put his shoes on, but the ones he got didn’t fit. So he set them down. Pickle started to cry. Before I grabbed the shoes that did fit I got the video camera to put in my bag. Pickle took one look at it and started wailing. This was unlike a cry we had heard before. It was far worse than we had heard yet. It took a good ten minutes to calm him down.

Once we did get him calmed down we had quite a nice outing. We found stairs that go to no where. We thought there was a way to get down to the river from the back of the war memorial. There were stairs at the back. We ventured down the stairs, but they only seemed to go to a dirt trail. Further down the trial were dilapidated buildings that people really do live in. We never did find the way down to the river. So we thought we would find the Geology Museum.

The Geology Museum is the closest museum to our apartment. It is in an old brick mansion. A stroll down Lenin Street yielded an old brick building tucked away behind some trees. A small sign outside read “Geology Museum.” CS tried the door and as he did two older women came out. She asked if we were looking for the museum. Unfortunately, the museum is closed for remodel. So no museum for us.

Since that is the extent of our life right now I thought I would give some further tidbits for those coming to Khabarovsk for their second trips. If you are with AIA you will be staying at the MarKuel. It is a nice joint with most of the modern conveniences of home. I apologize if I have mentioned these tidbits in the past. I am grasping at straws of stuff to write about.

My favorite thing I brought was my French press. (yeah yeah, I’ve said that) No really! Not only does it make fantastic coffee, it works as a pitcher to pour things. Water comes in giant jugs and is not very portable. So we pour it into the press and then into our smaller water bottles. This works well for Kefir too. Kefir comes in bags and it only keeps for a few days once opened. The trick is finding something to keep it in. We pour it into the press pitcher and then into an empty larger water bottle. Then it will keep for 2 days or so.

There is a little grocery very close to here. Most of what you need is there with the exception of meat. The store doesn’t always have the same stuff everyday. For example, there will be baby swiss cheese one day and not the next.

Other food bits: Bring items such as taco seasoning or chili mix. Buy the butter from New Zealand. It is better with less water. The 3.2% milk is close to what we have at home, but it has a “fresh from the cow” flavor. I personally don’t care for it. Rhonda, when checking for expiration date it is the second date and read month/day/year.

We recommend a stroller as opposed to a hip hammock. I didn’t bring a hip hammock, but got one from another family that was here. I tried it once with Pickle and he screamed. The stroller has been a godsend!

If you come in colder months bring a clothes line that you can use inside. It takes forever for clothes to dry when you put them outside.

There are no wash cloths here. Bring them. They are handy for wiping off sticky faces and hands.

Anyone else have suggestions on what you should or should not bring? I want to hear from those who have been on their second trip with the 10 day not waived. Anything you wish you would have brought or wished you’d left at home?

Only 7 more days until we are home!
15 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Keep the posts coming Lisa, we are all enjoying hearing about Oleg and your adventures in Russia! Hang in there while his tantrums continue, it's just all so much for him, this new lifestyle is confusing and scary! You're doing great!!!!!!!!!!!!
Mom and Mike

Blogger Chris Sapp said...
Only 7 more days! How wonderfl! Our daughter has intense tantrums. It can be so frustrating, not knowing why or when they will happen, but I just keep in perspective how upside down her little life has been - 3 places in one year. I know they come out of faer, and now partly because she isn't talking much and will be 2 next month. Sounds like you are doing all the right things! So happy for your family!

Blogger Jenny said...
Only 7 more days, man this is going by quickly!!!!

Hang in there with the sleep. You will get someting that works.

Take care---thinking of you-Jenny

Blogger 6blessings said...
Only 7 more days! I know it probably feels like you've been there forever.

We waited the 10 days, but our orphanage wouldn't give us the children until everything was final. We got them on day 10. Therefore, my suggestions would only be helpful if you were childless during this time. If so, bring a lot of DVDs and a pencil sharpener for all of those crosswords, word finds, and Sudoku puzzles. I would also bring peanut butter, can't find it there. I think you had mentioned this before, Lisa. I totally agree.

You're doing a great job. I can't wait to see pictures.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeah! Only 7 more days! Love to hear how you spend the days, makes us feel more connected if we can picture what you 3 are doing to keep busy, so keep 'em coming! Can you find anything like blocks or big legos? I bet O. would love to play and build things with Daddy? Just an idea.
Take care and happy countdown to coming home!
Love, Lee

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Only 7 more days! YEA! You guys are doing so well. I am so glad that you have these 10 days to bond as a family before you have to travel. Looking forward to seeing those pictures. Got to see the pictures of Jamie & Suzanne's two kids. Really cute. Love and Hugs to you all. Aunt Jan

Blogger Lauri said...
I second the wash cloths... peanut butter, power bars for car trips & airplanes. Liv often just naps for an hour- your doing a great job

Lauri


http://adoptive-parenting.adoptionblogs.com/

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I love your posts, even when you have nothing to talk about. I think the simple things (like remembering wash cloths) will be those little things which will help those of us behind you immensely. Seven days is nothing! Soon you'll be going to Moscow and you'll have so much to see and do!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow, the final count down, have I mentioned I can't wait to see the pics of O! Have a wonderful last week of your journey what beutiful memories you will have to treasure forever. God Bless:)
C&D

Blogger sandy said...
Wow.... seven days will go fast! And like Tricia said, we all appreciate any and all tips you can throw us. You know.... as far as the napping goes, my kids were only taking one hour naps at two years of age. I remember that if they slept for an hour, I was happy. They slowly stopped napping between 2 and 3 years old... but it was okay with me because if they did nap, I wouldn't be able to get them to bed at a decent hour at night. The days are hard though, during that transition.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I would have to say I am REALLY glad I had a sling with me. For anyone going to get a younger kid, this was a lifesaver for us. She did not like it at first, but it made the trip through the airport very easy (and very bonding since she was tied chest to chest with me) It made it such that we could each drag a suitcase and not have to worry about pushing a stroller, too.

Oh, just for reference's sake, it takes forever to dry the clothes indoors in winter, too heheh
and your apartment will be very HUMID....

but the hot water pipes come in handy for laying stuff on to dry a little bit faster...

I wanted peanut butter SOOOO bad while I was there and can't get it hehe

I will have to keep thinking if there is anything else I wished I'd have taken...

Blogger Jennefer said...
There have been a lot of posts about difficult children today. I think things will be better when you get him home. Although, it might just be the terrible twos. I remember my kids screaming nonstop for hours. Sounds like you are getting out and about- quite a new experience for Pickle I am sure.

Thanks for the tips. Here are my questions:
Should we bring a bottle or sippy cups?
What phrases are the most useful to say to your child?
What other "comfort" items are useful for Pickle? ie pacifier? blanket? DVDs? toy?
Thanks!

Blogger Maggie said...
I wish I had sage words of wisdom for the rocking. But I've got nothing.

Thinking of you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
L & D, I'm so excited about meeting Oleg in November!!!

Heh, if it's as dry and cold there as it is in Fairbanks, just hang your clothes out the window for a bit, then shake the ice out of them! It works wonders for getting most of the water out! If it isn't as dry as Fairbanks... good luck getting clothes dry in the winter!

As for naps, I have a friend with a 16 month old who rarely naps. If Avalon sleeps for 30 minutes a day, Angela (mom) consideres herself lucky. Some kids just grow out of naps sooner than others. Quin will occasionally just sit in his crib and chat to himself and his toys, and 30 minutes later he's ready to get up and play again. Down time can be just as valuable as a nap! It's more frustrating for the parents, though....

Enjoy the last part of your visit, and I know you'll have a safe and uneventful trip home! (Those are the best types with toddlers.)

Blogger Laura said...
I think you are doing a great job with Pickle! I think trial and error is the one thing you can do, what works for one, may not work for another. I also, am not sure of his age, but I think maybe his 1 hour nap may be what he is requiring. When our son was 2, sometimes, he didn't even take a nap, by 2 1/2, he was done with naps, he would fall asleep in the car on occation, but not nap regularly. I think he is old enough (since he is walking) to sort of understand what is happening, and I am sure with everything new to him he is probably a little over stimulated. Things will settle down, once you get him into a routine at home.
What I wished I brought? I highly recommend, disposable changing pads! I know it sounds like a crazy item. But, when you are in public or on that airplane on the way home and have to change a poopy diaper, the airplane bathroom, had no room for me even to bring the diaper bag in, so I had to put something down on the small changing board in the bathroom, and really wished I had those disposable ones. We also brought the stroller, it was wonderful for the hotel and airport. Anything, you can buy in Russia.
Laura

Counter
Established March 19, 2006