Image hosting by Photobucket
Sunday, September 03, 2006
Never let Captain Smartypants be your guide
The first video I ever posted was of the “Gulag Express.” This is a trolley bus that runs through town here in Khabarovsk. The last time we got on it was with Ciarai & Jose, Candy & Doug. Doug nearly lost his arm and I am sure I was groped inappropriately.

This is the only mode of transportation to get us from our apartment building to the main part of town. The cost of this fantabulous ride 10 rubles (about 30 cents.) We needed to buy some gifts for orphanage workers so we decided to go to town today. And seeing as it is our last free day it sounded like a good idea.

We spent the afternoon in town doing some shopping and having a great lunch at the California Café. At about 2:30 or so we hopped back onto the Gulag Express to go back to the apartment. Our stop was the second one and Captain Smartypants decides that we should depart from the GE from the forward doors despite the fact that we were closer to the back doors. We waded our way through the throngs of people only to be blocked by a giant babushka that we could not shove our way past. CS hops off the GE, but Kathou, Paypay and I are all still on board when the engine starts back up and the doors close. Yes… CS left us on the Gulag Express! Fun times!

We did manage to get off on the next stop and hike back up to our previous stop where CS was waiting for us. Smart ass.

Life for now is pretty boring. Sit around and watch movies or the Australia network. Somehow the BBC disappeared. Of course life will dramatically change come Tuesday.

We thank all of you guys for your comments. We will try to post photos as soon as we can. The adoption doesn’t become official until the 11th day after court so I want to make sure it is actually ok to post photos before doing so. I do promise that I will tell you all his name on Monday afternoon though.

We would like to ask that if you have any exciting news (like referrals, court dates or the like) to please email us at Derek.lindholm@gmail.com or leave it in the comments. Our internet access here is $5 and hour and it kicks you off after an hour. So we really don’t have time to read everyone’s blogs. I just don’t want to miss out on anything. I feel so out of the loop!
17 Comments:
Blogger kate said...
Still delightedly following the joyful unfolding of your adventure. I can't wait to "meet" the real Pickle. Enjoy the last little bit of your adoption ride. You're almost there...

Blogger Mary said...
You guys have such a great story to tell Pickle!

Good way to spend your "last free day"...shopping! So close now!

We are now awaiting out court date as we just had our final visit (6-month review) with our social worker. Hope it's before 2006 is over.

Blogger Melissa said...
I can't wait for pictures and the revealing of his real name. I am crossing my fingers for you in court.

Blogger Yeah So said...
That is pretty funny. Good thing you were with another couple...I would have freaked. Can't wait until you can post pictures of the trip (including pickle of course) this is so exciting!

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I haven't been reading blogs much this week either... we are in Chicago for business & seeing friends/family in the evening.

Our application paperwork is DONE, in the envelope and sealed. (I forgot to include the check, so I have to open & re-do though. Duh!) We are happily sending it in after Labor Day.

Blogger Chelsea said...
I'm so glad you still have your humor Elle. You guys sound like you are having a great trip. I will be praying for your court appt and that you have all the right words!

Blogger Maggie said...
Stuck on a bus. I'm with Stephanie... good thing you were with another couple. :-)

No news on my front, I'm afraid. I'll let you know if anything happens.

Can't wait to learn Pickle's real name! (Although I'll warn you, it's hard to get away from the nickname. I never ever called Vladimir "Peanut" in real life. But after the blog nickname even my other host parents sometimes call him Peanut.)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Sounds like great memories are being created for all of you. I wish I could have had a picture of all your faces at the moment Derek was off the bus. PRICELESS!!!!! Give my grandson lots of kisses from me and keep the posts coming. We all are driven to the computer every hour on the hour for updates!!!!!!!!
Mom & Mike

Blogger Chris Sapp said...
How will we ever get used to a name other than, "Pickle?" This is all so exciting! I'm really enjoying following your journey!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hooray, court is almost here I believe in about 1.5 hours!!! I know you are so excited and anxious,you will do fine you guys have lots of prayers being lifted up for you. Can't wait to read the "court's over blog entry"!!!
Too funny about the trolley ride you are braver than me we have not been on it since our little adneture with you guys on trip1:)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Good luck to you! Can't wait to hear about Court and see pictures of Pickle.

Blogger Rhonda said...
OMG, its about an hour away from court for you guys right now. I am PRAYING that it goes smoothly and you'll have a great entry about how easy it was. Good luck!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You can't be out of the loop - you guys ARE the loop!! I wish I were better on all the time differences. I think your court appearance is probably soon...I'll just start the prayers now and keep on until I see your post saying it's FINAL! Tomorrow's a holiday so I can check back often!

Blogger Carolina Mama said...
Jen, I just want you to know I am so excited for you! It is very fun! Can't wait to 'meet Pickle!'

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
I love reading your daily blogs...I feel as though I am going through all of the highs and lows of the final trip again!! I can't even tell you guys how excited I am for you...good luck tomorrow!! I cried so hard when the judge congratulated us on becoming parents...Andrew did too. We both sobbed like babies :) BIG HUGS to all 3 of you...Gaye

Blogger Carolina Mama said...
Yikes! Sorry ELLE!!!! :) Can you tell I have had company going on week two and am missing my blogger world and trying to keep up double time! Still thinking of you! I know better.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
Your counter says 18 hours til court, but I thought you mentioned earlier that it would be 5:30PM Sunday... So I am thinking of you guys right now and sending good vibes.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006