Image hosting by Photobucket
Tuesday, August 22, 2006
Utterly confused
Still not car photos. It was dark by the time we got home to the camera and CS left before I had my morning coffee this morning. I was in no shape to even think of photographing a car. I'll try tomorrow.

I am in an utter state of confusion around here. I am trying to get together our stack of gifts for people in Russia. I am getting totally conflicting numbers of caregivers, who works at the orphanage and who else there is around. I think I am finally getting it under control, but as soon as I start to think about it my brain says, "Uh lady... you are really pushing me to the limit. Oh look at the kitty."

The same holds true for the cash. Ack! I can't even begin to tell you how many times I have looked at my damn spreadsheet and said I don't think this is enough. My biggest fear is getting there and not having enough cash. I am terrified of sticking my ATM card into a machine in Russia. Sure... I'm not afraid of Hepatitis or Typhoid, but I am afraid of an ATM machine.

On a good note I did get the doctor thing handled. I finally got the nurse and she is just about the neatest lady ever. She is just too excited for us. She is sending all kinds of information that we will need and said to call if we have issues. That is a huge weight off my shoulders.

Anyway... better stop procrastinating. I think my timer tells me I am down in the 5 day range.
15 Comments:
Blogger fuzzandfuzzlet said...
Arrgggg on the cash. What a quandry. I have heard horror stories about people not having enough and then having an ATM issue.

How exciting that you are soooo close.

At what point of your journey are you going to be able to post pictures?

Blogger Rhonda said...
If it makes you feel any better, we used our ATM card quite a bit while we were there, and we had no problems.

Blogger Jenny said...
You'll get there. Youre almost there!!!

No advice on cash. I have no idea what the requirements are.

5 days!!!

Blogger Suzanne said...
My dear get-things-done friend took my to-do list and drove me around town, walked me into stores, and reminded me (often) why I was there. I am completely worthless, though I did whip up a delicious batch of borscht! Cause you know I won't be able to eat that in Russia. Oh. Right.

So, however flighty your brain is now, make the most of it, as it is going to get worse.

Blogger Maggie said...
This is so how I would feel in your shoes. Worrying about the little details. But you'll get through it just fine.

Blogger The Belanich's said...
I can not wait to follow your travels to RUSSIA and back!! I am so excited for you!! I hope all the hiccups in the road for you are over and the rest is smooth sailing!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Elle:
Bankomat works fine here with debit card. Prompts are in English, cash back in rubles or US $. Best thing? The remaining balance is in rubles, so at 26 rubles to 1 US dollar, our bank account loks quite healthy (if only that were the care!). Hang in there......
Cathy

Blogger 6blessings said...
Take a deep breath. You'll get everything done. In five days when you get on the plane, you can relax and enjoy.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I just found your blog as a result of my own adoption search. Don't worry about the ATM card issue. You might want to go into your bank and let them know where you're going and if they have any suggestions. Confirm as well if your bank card is, for example, a "PLUS" friendly bank card. (This would show on the back of your bank card). This way, when you get to your Russian destination, look for "PLUS" friendly ATM Machines - then you won't be surprised if your card doesn't work in a "Non-PLUS" friendly ATM machine!

Best wishes on your journey.

Blogger sandy said...
Good luck with your last minute preps! I'll be following closely but probably won't get to the blog until Sunday night. I know the feeling of not being able to focus. It means you need to sit down and have a glass of water. =) (Either that or go to the bathroom! =)) Take care!

Blogger Chelsea said...
Definately pins and needles now Elle!! I can't wait for you!! Gives me hope!

Blogger Yeah So said...
Maybe you can bring some travelers checks as backup? Good Luck packing, I can't imagine the stress.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We are so excited for you and can hardly wait to see pictures of Pickle. We are praying for a safe trip and hope that everything goes just smooth as silk. Take care, breathe, you will get everything done. We love you. Aunt Jan & Uncle Tom

Blogger Deb said...
You'll make it. God is watching over your family of 3.
WOW! 5 days 1 hour away. Very exciting.
Your fear of the ATM is funny. Can't wait to hear about your exciting trip. And looking forward to finally seeing a picture of the REAL Pickle.

Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...
I totally do that brain-shut-down-panic thing when I have to pack, especially for a huge adoption trip. I'm sure you'll get all the stuff you need done in time, and if not, no worries, you are still going to get Pickle!

Great news about the doctor. I still have to find one for Zeeb. Something about the long uncertain wait is making me procrastinate big time.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006