Image hosting by Photobucket
Tuesday, August 15, 2006
Damn Tourists
Evidently Seattle has become the new HOTT tourist destination. I don't see why. Beautiful 75 degree days, gorgeous views of the mountains and the sound. Cool places to visit like the Space Needle and Pike's Place Market. Why would anyone want to come here?

The Genius (me) thought it would be fun to spend our afternoon at Pike's. Anyone who has ever been to Pike's Place Market in the summer knows that it is the ultimate Seattle tourist trap. Pasty white people wandering the street not paying attention to where they are walking. (oh wait... those are the locals) Pike (in the market) is the only street in Seattle where you can cross against the light. Because there are no lights there. People wander haphazardly into the street no paying attention to the cars. Danielle told me not to aim for them.

Thousands upon thousands of tourist impeding my way. Gah! All I wanted was a sandwich, a coffee and to sit down to eat. We finally did get our little lunch and enjoyed listening to the strange man in the park yelling at Sheryl Crow on his little portable radio. Not quite sure what she was saying to him, but evidently he didn't like that every day was a winding road.

After our lunch of little baguettes from the French bakery and coffees from The Original Starbucks (for tourists only!) we stopped for dessert at Piroshky Piroshky. Love them!!! The rhubarb ones are to. die. fo.

We made a quick stop at Market Spice to pick up some essentials for our trip to Russia. Can't live without curry for 3 weeks. Then found the best place evah!!! Souk. It is an Egyptian/Indian grocery. I was like a kid in a candy store. The place was about as big as my office, but I could have spent hours in there. I went in for Tandoori paste, but walked out with 2 kinds of Dahl, cumin seed, ground coriander, coriander seed, garam masala, pakora mix, tamarind concentrate, and Tandoori paste. All for $25! What a deal!!! I was so excited.

Despite having to navigate the hoards of tourists I had a great afternoon.

------------------------------
Ciarai, sorry I didn't call you. I got distracted by something shiny.
9 Comments:
Blogger Chelsea said...
Elle have you ever had Samosa? They are so awesome. If you haven't, next time you ever travel to Canada, there are tons of Indian restaurants/bakeries that sell them, so good!!

Blogger Maggie said...
Tamarind? I can't find tamarind anywhere around here to save my life. I used to live downstate where they have things like specialty stores. Now that I live Podunk, USA I'm lucky to find anything as ethnic as soy sauce.

Blogger Elle said...
Chelsea, you and the hubs will have to come up and I'll cook you an Indian meal. Samosas are one of my favs!!! Mine are almost as good as in the restaurants. I am still working on a perfect naan recipe though. I almost have it down.

Michelle, I couldn't say for certain what day it doesn't rain. Most days from July to September are pretty safe, but shhh we don't tell the californians that.

Blogger SoFlaMom said...
Tourists! Nope, never heard of the in FL. LOL!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It's so cool that you actually DID the tourist things near you. My husband's brother and his wife live 1/2 mile from the beach and haven't seen the ocean in a year and a half.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I work a few blocks from the market. Sometimes I like to go their for lunch, but I don't have to find parking.... I love the spice place.
Serena

Blogger Yeah So said...
Ugh I so feel your pain. I work in the capital of tourism over here in NYC. Can't walk two feet without bumping into someone staring up at all the buildings with their mouths hanging open. But sometimes it is nice to be a tourist for a day. I was in Seattle last year, DH was on a business trip and I came along. We really loved it.

My funniest moment was walking down the street, and coming to a corner with all these people standing there. The street is deserted so I can't figure out why they aren't moving. The light changes and they cross! Seriously!? You people wait for the light even if there are no cars in sight??? Here in the city we walk even when cabs are speeding towards you! LOL.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Stephanie....That is funny and very true of Seattle. No one wants a jaywalking ticket!
Serena

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I would love to visit Seattle. Everyone I know who has been there has loved it. In fact many of my friends come back from there saying they want to move there. And one of my friends did. Someday maybe I will get there and you can show me around.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006