Image hosting by Photobucket
Sunday, August 06, 2006
Unraveling the converter mystery
In keeping with the whole travel theme as of late I thought I would shed some light on the whole converter/adapter mystery. For those of you who have traveled abroad you can stop reading now. For those who were like me, never been out of N. America prior to trip #1, this is important stuff.

When plugging in an electrical device in a foreign country you will need one of two things (or both.) A power converter and/or a plug adapter.

With both of these devices you plug the US end into the converter or adapter and then plug the European (heretofore known as the "Russian end") into the outlet.















To determine which to use you must study the device you want to plug in. Look at the cord of your device. Is there a big black box somewhere on the cord? No? Then you will need the power converter(PC). Yes? You will only need the plug adapter (PA) in most cases. This is the tricky part. Look at the black box. See the writing on it? Find where it says "Input." If it reads "100-240v" then you only need the PA. The PA makes it so your US plug fits into the Russian wall socket. There are of course cases where you are unsure of what to use. You could experiment, but be willing to sacrifice your electronic device. Let's just say I needed to go buy a new set of researchable batteries for my digital camera. Good thing I brought extra batteries.

Now if your cord does not say this or is lacking the black box you will need the PC. The exception is for travel hairdryers. A travel hairdryer has a switch that says 240v or 100V. When you use it in the US switch it to 100v. In Russia switch it to 240v (or 250v like mine) and plug the cord
into the plug adapter then that into the wall socket. It is important to make sure the switch is set correctly. On our first trip there was an incident with a travel hairdryer that caused a minor power outage in the hotel.

There is one little exception you will find when you arrive. The wall sockets in Russia are recessed into the walls. The Power Converter does not fit into them. So you have to take your Plug Adapter and put it on the end of the PC, then plug it into the socket.

I hope this has shed some light on the Power Converter v. Plug Adapter mystery. As to where to buy them, that is up to you. We bought our original set at Target, but somehow misplaced it in between trip #1 and #2. Fortunately, CS's parents had one and let us have theirs.
10 Comments:
Blogger Carrie said...
Thanks for this great info. The whole PC/PA thing has always been a bit of a mystery to me.

Blogger 6blessings said...
Where was this post in April? Ha! Ha! I couldn't dry my hair the whole time we were on our first trip because of the outlets being recessed. We had our converter, but it didn't fit the outlet recession.

Great educational post. Glad you thought to inform everyone. Now they can dry their hair and not have bed head the whole time. :-)

Blogger Ann said...
How do we know if we're going to need a converter?

Blogger Rhyne & Jake said...
OMG! I could have really used this advice last May!!! We also had the converter but due to them being recessed they wouldn't work but in one outlet (the one on the bathroom light). Dummy me though didn't think before I used my 1800 watt hairdryer with the 1200 watt converter - yep it blew up! Luckily the hair dryers in Russia are only about $15 USD for a really nice one (and I took it back on trip 2). Unfortunately, I only had 1 converter and could not recharge my camcorder batteries, so we did not get any video of the children on trip 2. I did invest in 2 converters for trip 2 just to have a back up!

Love the tips Elle!

Blogger sandy said...
Lovely post! Thank you.... now I know exactly what to look for! We've traveled through Europe before, but it was long before we were encumbered with all these rechargeable batteries and electronic equipment. A 35mm camera was all we needed; that and a ponytail holder. Thanks for mentioning that the outlets are recessed... that's a HUGE tip!

Blogger Yeah So said...
Good info. We still crack up over the time we were in Italy and my cousin plugged in her curling iron to heat up, and when she picked it up the metal part drooped down because the plastic handle part had melted. We had to do some creative furntiure rearrangement to hide the mess on the carpet.

Blogger Lauri said...
I could have used this prior to our trips... I blew up everything i tried to plug in with my confusing converter kit. I blew our digital camera charger

Blogger SoFlaMom said...
Love the pictures Elle. This is really helpful for future travelers. I remember the power outage story from last year LOL!

SoFlaMom

Blogger Elle said...
Just for the record, I didn't cause the power outages. I am a little flaky, but I didn't cause them. That was Candy and her hairdryer. Still funny and I like to gig her about it allllll the time. (*love ya)

Blogger Melissa said...
Thanks for uncovering the mystery for me. I will try not to kill my hotel. Every holiday at my house I blow a fuse drying my hair because the genius that did the elec. on our house put 12 rooms on the same fuse. So when the turkey is on the rotisserie all day and I try to blow out my bangs, I blow out the whole house.lol
Melissa

Counter
Established March 19, 2006