Image hosting by Photobucket
Friday, August 04, 2006
The Voice of Experience
You people's list making has inspired me to provide my little bit of experience of travelling. Granted, I have not travelled out of the country very often (read twice) but I have travelled to Russia twice (hmm) and I kinda know what I'm doing. So I thought I would pass onto you my packing list of stuff for the first trip, or 2nd trip if you happen to be like me. Lucky one who gets to travel 3 times.

In my carry-on, which is an Eddie Bauer backpack:
Dossier binder - heavy, but I won't let it out of my sight
1 book - I am slow reader and get airsick easily
i-Pod - didn't have this the 1st time, went nuts. listened to it nearly the whole ride home the second time.
dvd player - didn't have this the first time. second time it was a life saver. one word: LOST
dvds - mostly Lost, but a few movies too
neck pillow - bulky, but worth it.
ziploc bag containing - 1 t-shirt, 1 pair of socks and 1 pair of underwear. 1st trip also included a nightgown, had an overnight
eyedrops
saline nasal spray
allergy pills
dramamine - I don't go anywhere without it
contact lenses - didn't wear them, but I won't check them either
glasses case
kleenex - very handy for trip 2 because I had an Elle special allergy attack
tylenol pm - trip 3 I am taking ambien. the pm didn't work on trip 2
goldfish crackers - would you think anything different of me?
ibuprofen and tylenol
purell
digital camera, 3 extra cards and 1 extra set of batteries
photo album of our house, town, family and friends
toothbrush & toothpaste - if you fly Asiana they have these in the plane washrooms, but sometimes they run out.
moist wipe face cleaners - Avon makes some great ones
immodium
prescription drugs

My suitcase - quantities not included since trip 1 and trip 2 were different lengths:
plain stretch t-shirts in bright colors - no black or white
kahki type pants
1 pair of jeans
extra pair of shoes to alternate
socks & undies
comfy jammies
a regular type t-shirt and "hospital" pants for lounging
sweaters and 1 sweatshirt
jacket
scarf, hat and gloves - trip 2 it snowed
orphanage donations
small gifts for driver, translator, and facillitator - trip 2 only since they had waited so long for reaccreditation too
make-up - very litte, foundation and blush
travel hairdryer
contact lens stuff - disinfectant, case, extra pair, saline
hair brush & comb
more batteries & battery charger - CS effectively blew it up though
power converter and adapter
head scarf for the Orthodox churches - we went during holy week so I thought it would be respectful. normally women only cover their head during service
first aid kit - very small

I am sure there are a few other things that I am forgetting, but those were the majors. Now I have to figure out how to fit all of that stuff and Pickle's stuff for the next trip without adding another suitcase.

Oh! one bit of advice. We did use space bags and they were a life saver. on the first trip they protected our orphanage donations from an exploding bottle of bodywash.
8 Comments:
Blogger SoFlaMom said...
Great Advice Elle!

In my carry on, I also included a pair of slippers. I put them on as soon as the plane took off. Big lifesaver. I think the rest of the plane was jealous as many people gave me the thumbs up. We also took those eye masks to sleep. The mask takes up little room and the payback was a deep sleep.

SoFlaMom

Blogger Jennefer said...
My list influence is spreading. My plan to brainwash all the bloggers into posting lists has succeeded. I might overtake the world before CS! Hey, Captain Smarty- do you want to duel????? OK I have been around too many Yugi-Oh, Pokemon, Duel Mastered frenzied children. Sorry.

Blogger Deb said...
Great list. Thanks for the comment on space bags. I'm going to add them to my list.

If you're really good you can go up to first class and ask them for an extra pair of slippers and eye mask. I'll probably try that. You can get better snacks (like chocolate) up there too if you're sneaky. (But I'd never do that :-P)

Blogger sandy said...
Oh, that's a GOOD list! I can't believe you did this yesterday and I missed it last night (It must have been the wine blogging =). Second draft coming up soon! (Where'd you get your converter?)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Great list. Its been too long, I don't remember what I brought.

By the way, every time my daughter sees your blog, she sees the pickle and says "PICKLE! I WANT PICKLE!!!". Even she wants him home now!
Serena

Blogger Rhonda said...
The space bags are a good idea. Thanks for the list. I should just print it off now so I have it when we go into panic mode.

Blogger sandy said...
Hi Elle, thanks for the great advice on my first draft! If you want my email address to send the converter info to.... sandy@kmctek.com Thanks again! Sandy

Blogger Melissa said...
Are space bags the ones that vacuum out the air? Where can I get them inexpensively? I appreciate you adding me to your list. Thanks again for your advice.
Melissa

Counter
Established March 19, 2006