Image hosting by Photobucket
Monday, September 04, 2006
Our first try at parenting
I can officially say we are a family of 3! Of course getting to this point was not without its challenges. Lena and Andrei were scheduled to pick us up at 11:00 to take us to the orphanage. Of course there was a problem and Lena called to say they were running 20 minutes behind. 11:20. Phone rings. Running another 15 minutes. In the span of 40 minutes I think I went pee 4 times. (I have a nervous bladder of sorts)

When they finally arrived we gathered up our gifts and headed down to the van. Come to find out Andrei had a flat tire. So the delay was understandable. Especially when you see the roads here.

We pulled up to the orphanage and tried to snag one of the little booties they make you wear, but the babushka there was having no part of that.

Tatiana was out for the moment so we went straight to his groupa. The children were just finishing up with lunch and getting ready for nap time. They were giving our boy a wash so he was presentable for his mama and papa. They actually asked me for the clothes that we brought so they could change him. I was surprised. I always thought that it was one of our parental tests. The babushkas watch you while you diaper and dress the child. Guess they think I’ll manage just fine.

We waited for Pickle (yeah, I’m gonna stick with that) in the little caregiver office and there it was. The sound we knew we would hear. One unhappy and crying boy. We knew it was coming. Right from the first trip. We knew there would be much fit pitching when we left. Sho Nuf.

The pants we brought were much too big, but he still looked cute. The babushkas didn’t seem to get the daddy dress so they didn’t put the t-shirt over the longsleeve like I wanted. Oh well. We were able to snap a photo of him and one of the caregivers. They also gave us back the disposable camera we left and a little album with 3 baby photos in it. I forgot to mention that Tatiana gave us one of his baby photos while we were waiting for the judge’s decision yesterday.

Since Pickle was so unhappy, it was best that we say a quick good-bye and head downstairs to say our last good-bye to Tatiana. We gave her the stocking caps from Tracy’s Grandma and she was just in love with them. Thanks Tracy! We also gave her the gifts we brought and she walked us to the font door. Tatiana kissed Pickle gave me a warm hug and said, “Spaceeba!” That was it. A quick in, grab the boy, and out. We did stop for a photo in front of the door with the sweet smell of freedom. Oddly it smells a lot like orphanage.

Pickle calmed down once he saw the machina we were to ride in. His little eyes were fixed on everything passing by. Soon the eyelids became heavy and he drifted off for a little nap on the ride home. His slumber was so rudely interrupted by having to get out of the car.

Once in the apartment CS took him on a tour. “This is the foyer, this is the living room, this is the bedroom and this is the kitchen.” It was a short tour.

Since naptime was scheduled (according to the caregivers) for 12:30 we thought we would lie down and try to get him to sleep. Sure… 12:30. That worked out well. Pickle was having no part of nap time. He was most concerned that we removed the oversized pants and he was wearing socks and a onesie. He was fixated on his jeans sitting on my end table. Seeing as naptime was a no go, we threw on some sweats and let him explore.

We pulled out a few of the toys he is familiar with and he played a little, but he really likes to put everything back on the shelf. I suppose this is because this is the way it is in the orphanage. If he wants to clean up that is fine by me. I could tell that missing his nap was not going to be a good idea so we tried to lay down again. I did forget to mention that earlier I tried to put him in the “crib” we have just to watch him crawl out. Yeah, that’s not going to fly.

The second go around with naptime eventually resulted in a crying baby, a crying mama and papa saving us both. Pickle is a rocker. Big time! He lies in bed and rolls himself violently back and forth to make himself sleep. If you have never witnessed this before it can be disturbing. But to watch your own child do it is 1000 times worse. We did find that if we just lay with him and hold his hand he does it less and eventually falls asleep.

So our first few hours of parenting have been successful! We put the baby down for a nap, had limited crying (even if it was me) and he seems happy and likes us both!

I am still working on finding out when we can post photos. Please be patient. I want to do everything by the book since I got nabbed a little for posting the photo of Little A (after he was adopted) on the other blog. Better go check on my boy. I am expected to feed him a snack when he wakes up so I better be ready!
32 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh my Lisa and Derek, how exciting!!! I am so...happy for you guys and little Pickle, seems like the transition is going well, minimal crying by baby and mommy:)You guys are doing great can't wait to see pics and hear more of the Pickle adventures, Congratualtions on your new forever family!!!!
God Bless,
Candy

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Congrats on holding your own on first day being a Forever Family! See, we just knew that you guys would do just the right thing as Mommy and Papa . . . crying right along with the baby is just perfect! :-)) We were absolutley enthralled to read about your fist day together . . . hopefully, you all will get a good night's sleep (what is that, exactly?) and be rarin' to take on day 2 - give the little guy a couple of "squeezes" from Grammy and PaPa . . . & tell him he's doing a great job training his big people - it's a lot to ask of an "almost-2" and we see a champ in the making!!! Luv to all 3 of you, Mom and Dad

Blogger Melissa said...
I am so excited for you. It sounds like your first day is going well. Enjoy your time over there with your little one. I can't wait for you to post pictures of Oleg.

Blogger Mary said...
Congratulations to all of you! You survived your first day with only a little bit of crying (Mommy). Can't wait to hear (and see) more.

Blogger Maggie said...
I'm so glad you have him with you. That self-soothing will go away with time and bonding.

Blogger Sig said...
Ooooh, I can't wait to see photos!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!
PS- my Jackie rocked for many many years, her father and uncle did it too into young adulthood.

Blogger Lauri said...
Livi did that rocking/thrashing as well... its heart breaking but it gets better i promise.

I cant wait to hear more of your first few offical Mommy days.. what an exciting time

Blogger Deb said...
Sounds like you had a great day with Pickle.
Hope naptime works better. Really great to hear that he likes you both.

Blogger The Belanich's said...
Oh I am so happy for you guys!!! ENJOY Life as parents it is the best role you will ever have!!

sincerely..........

Sandy B

Blogger Suz said...
Yay Mama and Papa! Can you believe it, you have arrived at parenthood.

I am going to need to learn from you on how to handle that rocking stuff. D never was a rocker but V already was doing it when we saw her 6 months ago, so I'm sure it has progressed.

I'm glad that Pickle likes his Mama and Papa - that's a good thing! Have fun and keep us posted!!

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
That's funny about them dressing Pickle at the orphanage...we also thought we would be dressing Roman in his new clothes. But, they took the clothes and changed him...we found out later that it was probably because he had such AWFUL diaper rash, they probably did not want us to see it. It was the worst I have ever seen...

So happy for you guys...naptime and everything will get easier :) ~ gaye

Blogger kate said...
I'm just thrilled for you all.

Wishing you all joy,
Kate

Anonymous Anonymous said...
It sounds like you are off to a great start! I hope they dress Pineapple for me too. I would be very nervous if they were standing over me making sure I did it right. Did I put on enough layers? Did I forget the boots? Oh no, did I leave the HAT behind? AHHHHH

I am glad it went well for you guys! I am so excited that you are all together. Now we just need to bring you all home.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We're so happy for you guys!!! I've been having sleepless nights waiting for your next post!!! Glad he's in your arms now and will finally learn what family is all about!
Mom and Mike

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Good job on your first day of parenting! Sounds like you did everything just right! Taking your cues from O. and rolling with it. Way to go! I could just imagine how you felt, seeing him rock himself. You did just the right thing by getting in bed with him and holding his hand. B. still likes to have a hand on me somewhere when we sit close, especially when she's tired. Hope you have a great day, and many more to come!
Hugs, Lee

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yay, Pickel is with you. I found the self soothing very distressing too. It made me feel ill. He will likely quit when he is being soothed by you. I think my girl quit in a few weeks or a month. He sounds like a sweetie. You are just getting acquainted, and you are doing great.
Serena

Anonymous Anonymous said...
PS: No sense taking chances with the pictures if there is any doubt its not the thing to do. Plenty of time to see them after you are home. :-)
Serena

Blogger Yeah So said...
I can't even believe it! It's over, he's with you! Such great news. Sound like things went really well, and that it won't be long before the orphanage is a distant memory for him. On the rocking thing...I did that as a child, and I had a normal childhood. I still do it if I really can't get to sleep. It will pass.

Blogger Chelsea said...
Lisa does this mean you had the 10 days waived? I sure hope so!!

Blogger Rhyne & Jake said...
We've been out of town, but I am so glad to come home to read everything is going so wonderful for you guys!!!!! I'm also glad that they enjoyed the stocking caps!!!

Rhyne rocked very hard at first too, but she did ease up drastically after a few months. Congratulations and hope that the rest of your time flies by and that you have a great time in Moscow! Pickle will be home soon!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I just had to post one more note - it's so funny that Pickle likes to put things on shelves . . . his daddy did exactly the same thing at the checkout stands in whatever store we happened to be at the moment - at about the same age as our little guy!! Once a women in the line in back of us, touched my shoulder saying, "Does your little boy do this often?" I looked down to see D carefully re-arranging the "impulse buying" racks making sure everything was in its right place! Well, yes he did. :-) Maybe it's a temporary recessive male gene that blossoms with training them to put things away in the right place! That could explain how it "disappears" at about age 16, only to reappear as infrequently as say, Haley's Comet! Hopefully you all are still sound asleep as I type this. have a happy day today! Luv,Mom

Blogger Laura said...
I'm so happy he is with you! Enjoy!
Laura

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Congratulations :) I know it will just get better and better every day from now on. How old is he (if you don't mind me askin?)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh what a blessed day this is! It sounds like you are doing a *wonderful* job helping Pickle adjust to his new life. I am so happy for you.

BTW: We finally got good news today - Zeeb's paperwork was signed by the provincial official!! Now we wait for travel... could be 4-8 weeks... but then I guess I'm an expert at waiting now, right? Your blog encourages me and gives me hope, thank you so much for sharing this time with us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Oh what a blessed day this is! It sounds like you are doing a *wonderful* job helping Pickle adjust to his new life. I am so happy for you.

BTW: We finally got good news today - Zeeb's paperwork was signed by the provincial official!! Now we wait for travel... could be 4-8 weeks... but then I guess I'm an expert at waiting now, right? Your blog encourages me and gives me hope, thank you so much for sharing this time with us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
yooohooo!

Thanks for the post...quite wonderful!

Hugs to pickle from Abby, Eddie, Annora and us adults.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Very exciting- I'm so happy for you. Can't wait to see pictures, but of course, only once its kosher to do so. Hope bedtime goes well for all.

Blogger Carolina Mama said...
Happy happy story! I am so smiling at you two and Pickle! Congratulations all around! You all are doing it and just great! Look forward to putting a face with the name! :) And getting you back in the USA! God Bless!

Blogger jessy said...
I totally relate on the rocking thing. My little girl did it for about six months after the adoption, but started to diminish after about the first three weeks. It is devestating to watch. I couldn't bear it, and began substituting some holding techniques right from the start. I highly reccommend them. You will be physically and emotionally exhausted, after a holding, but you will bond. You will definitely bond.

Blogger Debi said...
Yeah family complete for now...can't wait to see the little man and get more info on age and the like but YEah...I will make a short announcement at SoA..Safe travels..

Anonymous Anonymous said...
HOORAY! Sounds like a great first day! You guys are naturals, give yourself the credit you deserve! A sleeping car baby, a clean up boy, explorer, likes to cuddle.....what else can you ask for? We can't wait to meet him! Thanks for the continual updates on your adventures from Russia! love, m, h, l, e

Blogger Chris Sapp said...
Wonderful news! Sounds like the three of you are all doing well :-) We are all enjoying watching your story....your long, awaited story unfold!

Counter
Established March 19, 2006