Image hosting by Photobucket
Wednesday, September 20, 2006
Live from the chocolate capital of the world!
We made it to Zurich!!! We were all too happy to bid Russia good-bye.

At last we made it to a land where I can read the signs. I may not speak German, but at least I can recognize the alphabet.

I do apologize for last nights post. I was exhausted, but I thought I would try to do one last post. However, I think it is a good representation of how I was feeling.

This morning we had to be up at 3:15 to get ready to meet Andrei at 4 am. I got out of bed first and showered. Pickle didn't even stir. All 3 of us slept pretty well. CS being the best, me being better than the night before.

We let CS pick the line for check-in. We certainly won't be making that mistake again. He happened to pick the lady who's computer was on the fritz. It took forever for us to get checked in. Once we were through security (of which the security guy taught me don't cry in Russian and I promptly forgot) we sought out food. We found a little bar that had food, but no Pickle food. But they did have bananas. So we ordered a raspberry yogurt cake and banana (for Pickle), a cottage cheese thing for Mama and a chocolate eclair for daddy. Everyone seemed to be happy.

The flight was looking to be a hairy one when Pickle decided to start screaming when I stopped walking to board the plane. The passengers were looking at me like I was world's worst mother. Either that or they were secretly fearing they would be seated next to us. Pickle did amazingly well on the flight. He only fussed a little. I can't say the same for Chickadee. She pitched a royal fit. I don't blame the kids at all for being cranky.

Once we arrived in Zurich we did a little walking around. There is a Starbucks here, but it is outside of security and we can't take the kids out of security. Sorry Wayne. No mug from Switzerland.

We had a feast from Burger King for lunch. Pickle is driving us nuts with food right now. He wouldn't eat the mac n' cheese at the Hard Rock last night. Nor would he eat the french fries. What child doesn't like french fries? So for lunch we tried chicken nuggets and fries again. Chicken was a no go and so were the fries. Then we tried a hamburger. Big fat Nyet. CS went and bought him some milk. He loved that and then we tried the fries again. Bingo!!! He ate an entire small fry and half of the milk box.

Now we are waiting for our flight. Pickle is refusing to nap despite all of our efforts. I think we are wearing a groove in the floor here. It was our luck on the flight from Moscow to Zurich that he didn't sleep then either. It was the instant after touchdown that my boy was out like a light. Of course then he woke up when we were getting off the plane. Damn.

So the hope now is mother nature will take over and he will sleep on the flight to Chicago. Wish us luck on our last 2 legs. Our next post will be after we welcome home America's newest citizens!!
18 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeh, you are almost there! You guys will be in my thoughts and prayer for a safe and uneventful flight!!!
C&D

Blogger Maggie said...
I don't know what time your flight was, but hopefully you're well on your way. I can't wait till you're back home safe and sound. :-)

Blogger Deb said...
Good to hear Pickle did so well on the flight. Hoping he does as great on the next two.

Blogger Ani said...
you are almost home, almost home, almost home... hope the rest of the flights were uneventful. safe travels!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I've enjoyed reading your story. Please continue to post now and then once you get home.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
So glad to hear you all are holding up under this travel marathon, and that O. is doing so well under the circumstances. I so didn't expect a post today, but I had to check just the same. Glad I did! G. is going to email me pics of your homecoming and tell me all about it. Then I will send the pics on to Mom and Bunny.
Hug each other for us!
Love, Lee, W. and B.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Don't let the stink eye from The Perfect Parent Club bother you!!! Their kids threw tantrums too!!! I couldn't get the cat hair off your furniture and am feeling quite inadequate as a parent myself! I really, really tried!!!!! Can't wait to greet the new family's entrance into America!!!
Hugs and Kisses,
Mom And Mike

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Wow, this is a long hard trip home! I bet Pickle sleeps a lot on the next flight though. Praying for you to have a safe and restful trip to the US.

Blogger Yeah So said...
I hope pickle will be wearing his red white and blue home! Almost there!!

Blogger Suz said...
You're almost there - you all can make it. I can't wait for you to get home to your own comfy bed. You won't believe how much in love with your bed you are going to be! I can still remember the feeling of sinking into my own bed with fresh clean sheets!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
How do you find the time to post? Can't wait for you all to get home.

IAL

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
WOW!! You are almost home with your son! I can't believe it! I am so happy for all of you! ~ gaye

Anonymous Anonymous said...
WELCOME HOME!!!! (ok, so not yet technically but all the same) Please email pics to us too! We will be at the airport in spirit! (I still can't convince Matt to go....hmmmm wonder why? It totally would be a wonderful birthday still the same :) Luv, us nelson's

Blogger Ann said...
You've almost made it. I know you must be T-I-R-E-D. But you have your son and hopefully things will settle nicely once you are home. Hang in there!!

Blogger Carrie said...
Just a little bit more and then you can rest...ok, that's a lie but at least you can be in your own home which will make all the difference in the world. I can't wait to see how Pickle likes his room and how he'll settle into life in America.

I'm sending you best wishes for an uneventful journey home.

Blogger Carolina Mama said...
I almost feel the same way for you. Glad you made it to Switzerland ! Now for America. Still enjoying the posts.

Blogger Jenni said...
As much as we loved visiting Russia, we loved leaving it even more! It is such a relief to finally be on the homestretch. Best of luck with the rest of your journey home.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am sooo happy for you. I can't wait to hear more about Pickle's adventures with the cats, settling into his new room, and you & CS loving life as parents.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006