Image hosting by Photobucket
Saturday, May 13, 2006
That whole Mother's Day thing
One would think I would be ecstatic about that whole Mother's Day thing. Sure... I am somebody's mom. As Caroline puts it, I am the mothering kind of person. I am the "mother" to Fat and Dumb. But all of that does not make this upcoming day any easier.

I distinctly recall last years Mother's Day. We had recently found out that 3 of my very good girlfriends were pregnant (for the 2nd time or accidentally.) All of them due within 3 weeks of each other. Let's just say I was jealous. Little A's referral was very fresh for us. We had the photo for all of 2 weeks. I was excited that I finally had a face and a name to put with all of those prayers for "my child." I wanted people to dote on me. I wanted to be in that "expectant mothers club." I received cards from a few people, but D got busy and it somehow went a little over looked.

I brought up my disappointment to him. To which he said, "I'll be right back." He returns 30 minutes later with a beautiful pink hanging basket. "Mom's deserve pink," he tells me. I held on to that basket until the bitter end of its life. In fact I think it is still sitting in the side yard. Dead, but still there.

This year I find myself sitting back and remembering my thoughts of "next year I will have my child in my arms." I never thought I would have to go through another Mother's Day without a little face to wake up to.

At the same time I have Pickle. This little boy had stolen my heart. The photos and videos we have of him nearly bring me to tears every time I see them. He is just that special. I have had the opportunity to hold him in my arms and he is real. Not just a photo.

I am trying very hard to be happy this Mother's Day. It helps that I do get to spend it with my Mom. Without this lady I would not be the woman I am today. She is the strongest and most determined woman I know.

So to all of you, I wish you a Happy Mother's Day.
13 Comments:
Blogger glo said...
Happy Mother's day to you too. It is not like you had htought, but it is special and the one you held in your arms, also you do hold in your heart. so celebrate the Mom in you AND celebrate the Mom you still have with you. As we all know life has no guarantees, so seize the moment and celebrate your Mom as in her heart is lots of love and some sense of the 'lost dream" that this Mother's day holds for you. She will hold you through the sad and the joy of the day if you will let her.
That is a Mother's way!!!!

Blogger Lauri said...
Happy Mothers day- I can relate to what your talking about after spending many a mothers day upset that My turn had yet to come. Now-for me at least, every day is Mothers day as Im showered with a little girls kisses & hugs,and you too are a Mom- not much longer and everyday will be like mothers day for you as well when Pickle is in your arms for good

Happy Mothers day to All

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Elle, I hope its not too much long past mother's day that you get to celebrate. Its days like tomorrow that remind me that secondary IF sucks, but doesn't hurt as bad as primary IF did. That longing is very hard to cope with and even when the end of it is almost near, its still seems like an eternity.

Blogger Yeah So said...
Yes, it will be a weird day for me too. Happier than past Mother's Days but still not what I want it to be. I imagine that next year those around us will do their darndest to make up for past years. It's just the waiting that sucks so bad...

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Happy Mothers Day Elle. You are a mother...your son is temporarily separated from you...soon to be home.

Blogger Maggie said...
I'm actually dreading tomorrow. I'm going to bring a card to my mom and maybe make her dinner. Other than that, I'm ignoring the day completely. A bit bitter, I know, but oh well. Next year... next year.

Blogger Brian & Rebeca said...
Happy Mother's day to you too!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Happy Mother's day, you mom and mom-to-be!! You're in the unique position of being both a mom (to the cats and Pickle) and a mom-to-be, because Pickle is your son, he just hasn't come home yet. And if you're extra special, next year you too can be woken up at a miserable hour and vomited on! That was my first Mother's Day gift from Quin. I hope it won't be a tradition.

Blogger Jennefer said...
I am sending you over an ESP mother's day basket. It is really special because it holds all of your future memories with Pickle. To receive it you just have to squint really hard for a long time and hum until it enters your mind.

You can hold on to it as long as you like.

Blogger Jenny said...
I said Happy Mothers day to my mom while she was driving me to the airport. It was funny because she was soo tired and miserable and she just smiled, looking not soo hagged and said thanks. She did, however, mention that I haven't sent her a card in 2 years. Ha, wonder why?

Anyway, I wish pickle was home with you. I really do.

I am in bed ignoring the day, so just hang in there.

-Jenny

Blogger 6blessings said...
I'm hoping that you bring Pickle home very soon. You deserve it! It's hard being separated from your child on Mother's Day. You are his mother! Happy Mother's Day!!

Blogger Woods Family said...
I think that you are a VERY strong woman and mother. You have waited this long and been through an insane adoption process and you are still writing and still waiting and soon you will be home with your baby. Happy Mother's Day.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You are already a mother. every day you think about your child, you worry about your child, and you pray for your child.

You are already a mother, just waiting to be reunited with your child.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006