Image hosting by Photobucket
Monday, June 05, 2006
Fruits of my labor
Literally! D's mom was over yesterday and she did a little walk around my garden and when she came back in she said she tasted one of my strawberries. I knew there were a few that were getting ripe, but I had no clue how many. I have 2 kinds of strawberries planted. An everbearing and a June bearing. Obviously the June bearings are getting ripe. My strawberry patch is like my little baby. All organic, mostly well tended (I have some leftover grass to pull) and growing like leaps and bounds. I started with 25 starts of each variety. Well in the 2 years the everbearings have grown to probably 200 plants and the Junes are producing a bumper crop! Last year I was able to eek out 9 jars of strawberry jam, hopefully this year I will be able to double that. That is if I can keep D from eating them. He was so disgusted last year when I would pick giant bowlfuls and they would go straight into the freezer.

So for you viewing pleasure here is my first harvest. The bowl on the right are the everbearings the one on the left are the june bearings. I will probably get 1 or 2 more bowls of Junes and then that size of bowl every 2 days of Evers the rest of the summer.
Oh, I apologize for the lack of blogroll on the sidebar, for any of you who may navigate through my site. Evidently it looks like Tucows (the makers of Blogrolling) have changed the format of their site and Blogrolling is no more. Of course this could be a case of "I'm Dumb," but I don't think so. Either way I am working on putting all of the links back and in a handy new Elle organized fashion!
7 Comments:
Blogger Suz said...
Oh yummers! Those strawberries look delicious! I've never tried growing strawberries, but I have a very UN-green thumb!

Blogger Deb said...
Wow! They look delicious. I had to show them to Dave (he loves growing everything) and he said he wanted to move where you are. Until I told him you were in WA. Then he said it rains too much and he didn't want to move. Strawberries just won't grow well in this TX heat.

Blogger Maggie said...
Those look gorgeous. I don't have the space for anything like that... wish I did.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I admire anyone who can grow stuff - fruit, flowers, vegetables. They look great.

I hope you DO find a way to get the links back. Our agency referred us to KarensAdoptionLinks which is where I found you and everyone else through you. I'm not sure I could possibly track down the others without your links. I hope nothing important happens while I'm disconnected!

Blogger 6blessings said...
Those look delicious. They wouldn't last long around my house!! They'd never make it into jam.

Blogger Jennefer said...
Good job on your strawberries.

You should try out Tricia's strawberry shortcake recipe that she posted awhile back. I made it and it turned out really good.

Blogger Elle said...
Jen, when I saw that recipe I thought of my little patch outside. I couldn't wait! I refuse to buy strawberries during the off season. They come from CA and just don't taste the same. No offense to California. Mine are just better.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006