Image hosting by Photobucket
Saturday, April 01, 2006
Opening the Door
On March 13th we closed the door at the end of the hall. For the past 3 weeks that door has remained closed. I couldn't stand the thought of seeing no name on the wall and all the artwork removed. At the same time it was a door that was closed to our moving forward. So yesterday we decided to open it. D asked if I was ready and I burst into tears. Opening that door meant letting go. Letting go of A. Letting go of my visions of that particular little boy running through our house. Mostly it came down to my acceptance of this journey taking just a little bit longer. D looked at me and said, "That is Pickle's room now." I was ready.

We opened the door. I looked it and it was so empty. The furniture is all still there, but D's mom had taken down all the artwork. The hardware that held the quilt on the wall was even gone. But the one thing that remained was the cross. It was a gift from D's Aunt & Uncle. It has an inscription on it that reads,
"For I know the plans I have for you', declares the Lord, 'plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." -Jeremiah 29:11
I am glad she left that up. Now we are faced with redecorating that room. Do we put back the same artwork or buy all new stuff. There are a few pieces that I want to put back up. Some of it was D's when he was a baby. I am just not sure I have it in me to complete a whole new quilt though. The last one took me forever!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

On a totally different note we have started yet another web site. This one is actually a real website! Go check it out www.4pickle.com. This is my attempt at another fundraiser actually. Upon opening that door we quickly came to the realization that we need the money to complete this thing. We have done tons of fundraising in the past year. Sure some of you may think that it is not appropriate to do adoption fundraising, but that is your opinion. We simply don't have the near $40,000 sitting around to pay for this. Yeah, our's is costing a little more due to an added third trip.

Anyway, I belong to a fundraising for adoption yahoo group (let me know if you want the address.) One suggestion was to create a simple website and put something on your car that has the website name. I hate stuff stuck to my car. I am very particular about it. But I thought in the interest of getting Pickle home I would give it a try. So I created a very simple window cling to put in my back window. It is simply the website name. We'll see how it works.

So go visit our site. I hope to add more pages that have all kinds of adoption information. This is a precursor to creating the charitable foundation site.

13 Comments:
Blogger 6blessings said...
I am so glad that you are moving forward!! I know how hard opening that door must have been. Sounds like your MIL knew exactly what to leave hanging. I know the pain of the loss of A will continue to swell and subside, but it is so good to know that you have the Lord and each other to help you get through. Once again, I don't know how anyone makes it without Him.

By the way, Pickle's website is awesome!!

Blogger Jennefer said...
I am glad you are making baby steps toward moving forward. Not rushing things is a good idea- just a little at a time and you will be O.K. Pickle is worth it.

Great website! I changed the link of your name on my site to reflect your new fundraiser site.

Blogger Maggie said...
Opening the door must have been hard. It's just one more goodbye. But at the same time you're saying hello to your new little boy.

I know what you mean about some people not thinking fundraising is appropriate. I'm in the middle of a fundraiser and I feel a bit icky about it. But we'll do what we have to bring our children home.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I'm sure you are experiencing some bittersweet thoughts about the whole situation right now. but just so you know, i'm going to be excited for you!!!

[but please know that i also understand that you must (& may always) feel the loss of A.]

Blogger glo said...
Lots of mixed emotions as I read your BLOG where you ave been and where you are going. You are in my prayers as you open the door to "pickles" and heal from the emptiness of A. I too am glad A has found a family but I know he also had a family with you. Must trust "His" hand in all of this for both A and you. My daughter has had a room ready now for her little one to come home since late October. I can not imagine what it would be like if they were to ever get the call that it is NOT her room. My heart and prayers go out to you. Also my blessing for a wonderful experience ahead with pickles. I will be following and praying for you.

Blogger Jenny said...
Hey. I think it is a huge step opening the door. I spent about an hour on the floor in Mia's room today so I understand how significant it is to have their room.

The fundraising thing, I think you gotta do what you gotta do! I really hope it is successful.
I also hope that you can and do start a foundation.

-J

Blogger Rhonda said...
I guess you are literally opening another door now. Good for you guys. I think its OK to keep the quilt. You made that quilt for your child, and your child will be in that room. The fundraiser site is cool....I can't imagine ANYTHING wrong with fundraising. Who has that kind of cash laying around to pay for an adoption?

Blogger Yeah So said...
Good for you for gathering the strength to open that door...how symbolic. I think leaving some things up is fine, you should do what feels right in your heart. The room we have decided to use for our child is completely empty, and I can't seem to do anything with it yet until the child is here..after so much disappointment,I guess I'm waiting until it's really "real".

Fundraising is such a good idea, people who are upset at that should be more upset at the outrageous fees we have to pay.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Its so personal when you can open the door and what you will keep. No need to rush anything. I ended up keeping everything including the name. It was the right choice for me, although it felt a little odd at first. Every now and then I look at my shower pictures and remember I was actually waiting for another child. Its a very faint memory and has no negative connotation now. Best wishes in your continued journey. Its painful to move forward, but thats where the joy is.
Serena

Anonymous Anonymous said...
This is the first time I have read your blog (linked from Rhonda's). I just wanted to say that I am so sorry about what happened with Baby A. I wish there were ways to make sense of things like this but it sounds like you are a woman of faith and faith will get you through. Good luck in your journey.

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Opening the door is a beg step...Pickle is going to be so happy to meet you guys. ~ gaye

Blogger Carrie said...
We are wishing baby A a life filled with love and happiness with his new family. I hope that the love you've been sending him all this time will live in his heart forever. Pickle is going to be one lucky child to have wonderful loving parents like you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We just want to say how much we love you both and that you both (and now Pickle)are constantly in our prayers . . . it takes great strength to get through each day right now, as well as lots of faith and trust in God and His plan for your lives at this time. Dad and I think you guys can teach us all about love, faith, trust, perserverance, and patience. Certainly both of you have given us such joy and courage to walk with you on this long AND arduous journey to being parents - you don't know yet what a gift you are to us and your little one, but you will as you become a family of 3 and grow as a family and as parents. Your faith walk has touched deeply so many folks who know you - I think you would be so surprised breadth and depth of the feelings so many have for you. We were so glad that you've opened the door to the baby's room but I have to tell you that Dad and I both have shed tears, tears of sorrow and loss first as we took down things in there and then tears of "joy" that that room of inexpressible sorrow is now ready to become the "future" and a room filled with baby laughter, cuddles and family things! Continue to hold on tight to each other and to God - remember He watches over you and little Pickle every minute of every day. Tomorrow is full of promise that we cannot even fathom today. Much love, Mom and Dad

Counter
Established March 19, 2006