Image hosting by Photobucket
Tuesday, June 20, 2006
How to make an adoptive mom feel better about herself
I apologize for my absence as of late. I have been working full time at the church and have been trying to spend some time in my garden (it is thanking me) and at my sewing machine. Two recreations that I love, but have been sorely neglected in the past 18 months.

June 17th was an important day for 2 reasons. My beautiful niece B turned 4 years old and we marked a milestone in our adoption process. 18 months. We have officially been in the adoption process for 18 long months.

So to mark the occasion I started to think about what I am missing in life. Well my family, my friends, my reliability, my money and most of all my sanity. Of course that isn't to say I actually had money or sanity to begin with. To my family and friends... well sorry about that. I will try to pull my ass out of the crapper soon enough. With all the obvious answers surrounding what I am missing I also started to think about what types of things you miss out on when you choose to adopt instead of get pregnant. Not that at the time I had a choice between the two. Needless to say there are quite a few things that women who become mothers through adoption miss out on.

We miss out on the glow. That sickening beautiful glow that pregnant women seem to emanate. We miss out on the "oohs" and "ahhs." The "oh look how cute you are" comments. But of course I have mentioned this all before. We also miss out on the pampering. It seems to me that pregnant women often get pampered. They get the parking spaces close to the door at the supermarket. People offer their seats on the subway or bus. I have watched husbands rub swollen feet.

For pre-adoptive moms we lack the physical signs of impending motherhood. Our bellies don't grow, or if they do it isn't something growing in them. It is caused by a serious case of stress eating. Our glows don't come naturally. They are induced by rage at hearing yet another girlfriend is pregnant. Or more likely by an alcoholic libation or two. Three buck chuck has become one of my best friends.

So to help rectify the situation I thought I would offer a few suggestions on how you as a friend, sister, brother, spouse, parent or anyone else suffering with dealing with supporting a pre-adoptive mom.

1. We like attention. For the outsider the allure of adoption wears off after the first few months. The mom deals with it every day. Don't ask, "any news yet?" Rather ask, "have you given any thought on what you are going to name the baby/ child" or "have you started working on your child's room yet? What color are you going to paint it?" Ask questions about her or her child, not the process of getting the child. If you must ask about the adoption process ask specific questions like, "tell me what the next step in the process is." And be genuine about it. Don't ask just to be nice.

2. Compliment us. Adoption does things to your mind, body and spirit. Some are stress eaters, some are stress not-eaters (me). We suffer from premature "mommy brain" or our brain cells have slowly died off due to excessive paperwork. We can look pale and tired. Please don't point out our faults. Please don't tell us it looks like we've put on a little weight or that we look obviously pale. Come up with something nice to say. Tell her you like her shoes or handbag. Compliment her writing style (thanks!) Tell her that seeing her makes you feel better.

3. Pamper us. Most of the pre-adoptive moms I know suffer from Email Checking Disorder (ECD) or Compulsive Message Board Reading Syndrome(CMBRS.) These are isolating and debilitating illnesses. These women are in serious need of some time away from their computers. They can think-type faster than they can re-type a letter. They are in dire need of some human contact. The best way to aid this is by taking her out of the house. Offer to take the pre-adoptive mom out to lunch. Offer coffee or out for drinks. Somehow force her to pry herself away from the computer for just an hour. You may have to endure a lunch date full of adoption related conversation, but the live human contact will make her feel good.

4. Make us feel special. Throw her an adoption shower. I hesitate to say baby shower since some people don't adopt babies. Make it a women's event. Not one of those crappy couple's shower where the men don't want to be there anyway. This activity is especially important for the woman becoming a mom for the first time, and especially one that has gone through the rigors of infertility testing and treatment. We want to be the center of attention. We want to feel special and want to know that you care. We want you to ooh and ahh over our cute stuff. We want it to be all about us for a moment and not about the adoption.

5. Surprise us. Personally I like surprises. Part of my ECD is the fact that, to me, emails are little surprises. It makes me feel good to know that someone is actually thinking of me. This is to say that I especially appreciate personal emails. Just a note to say "Hi, I was thinking about you today." E-cards work too. Even better than emails are notes or cards in the mailbox. That is that thing out on the curb or attached to your house. A mysterious person puts little pieces of paper in there (usually bills, occasionally a very important federal document) and for some reason this makes me giddy like a school girl. I love holidays and especially my birthday (which is in 2 days.) Important events mean greeting cards. Treasures that people have picked out to show you they were thinking of you. And if you want to go above and beyond the call of duty have something shipped. Care packages, a box of flowers, or anything that comes in something larger than an envelope. These are true little gems of happiness.

So the bottom line is for those of you on the sidelines: go out of your way to make these moms feel important. We have been through too much. This isn't to say that you should do this on a daily basis (although that will win you serious brownie points) but every so often. Think about us. We'd appreciate that.
24 Comments:
Blogger M3 said...
Wonderful post!!!!!!!
Loved it.

Blogger M3 said...
Oh, and Happy Bday 2 days in advance!!!!!

Blogger The Belanich's said...
AMEN SISTER!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You said it!!

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
I think we share the same brain :) gaye

Blogger Jessie said...
You know, where I live, the signs don't say "pregnant woman" parking. They simply say "expectant mom" parking. Therefore, park away!

This is a wonderful post and should be printed out on pretty card stock, laminated and passed out to all friends/relatives of adopters.

Happy Birthday too!

Blogger Lauri said...
well said.....


Lauri

Blogger SoFlaMom said...
CMBRS - I have this everyday! Glad to see I am not alone!

Blogger Yeah So said...
Excellent post! I especially love your alternatives to "heard anything yet?"

BTW, if you want to feel better about not getting pregnant, watch an episode of TLC's a baby story. Cures me every time.

Blogger Chelsea said...
I like what Jessie pointed out! I do think about you a lot and look forward to your updates! I can't believe that friends and family of PAP's don't think to throw showers especially for first time parents/moms. I hope I can be a strong as you and D when we head into PAP world. Thanks for the inspiration you two!

Blogger Mrs. Broccoli Guy said...
I love Love LOVE your suggestions for how to support a pre-adoptive mom. And it's just a little scary how well you can describe me! LOL.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I just loved your post. I am going to refer many family members and friends to this one.
Thank you for expressing this so eloquently.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
I agree - this is a great post & even now I want to send it to friends/family. It's funny how sometimes (even close friends) we aren't viewed or treated the same as pregnant mothers.

Blogger Maggie said...
So true. So many people just don't know what to say to people that are adopting. Other than one sister, my family tends to glaze over if I talk adoption. When I questioned my mom about it she said she doesn't like to talk about it because she's so worried about me. Huh? Love you, Mom, but that's backwards thinking.

Blogger Jennefer said...
O.K. I am having a problem. Not with the wonderful list about giving us PAP's lots of attention. We are in agreement there and I am on the exact same page as you with the #3 issue, but if you have read any of my comments to –jenny than you know how I feel about your (and hers and other) fairytale views of pregnancy. Here is the true deal:

1. When I was pregnant no one told me I glowed. To myself there was no glow. Once a woman came up to me and asked if I was pregnant. I said, “How did you know?” and she said, “You have that sort of greenish look to your face, so I thought you must be pregnant.”

2. No one said “ooh” or “ahh” to me ever. People said things like, “Man, you are big. I’m talking huge.” and “You have really gained a lot of water weight in your face.”

3. No one pampered me. For the most part I had to do all of the same things I had to do before only everything was harder because I was uncomfortably huge and constantly nauseous. My husband only rubbed my tired feet if he thought he was getting something in return.

My mom did give me a shower (Thanks mom!) All you first time adoptive parents better get one too!! If you don’t PLEASE let me know and I will send you a gift!!!

4. I do recall getting to go ahead of the line at a public restroom once, but it was a good thing because if they hadn’t let me in I would have peed right there in my pants. Due to the pressure, it is always a race to the restroom.

All in all, pregnancy sucks. At least my pregnancies. The adoption process sucks too. I am just saying from the perspective of experiencing both, please don’t “glamorize” the other side. I just don't want you guys to mourn the loss of being pregnant when their is nothing to mourn about. They are both awful in their own way. Some people have easy adoptions, some people have easy pregnancies. I guess that I am not so lucky with either route, but the process is the sacrifice we make for our children. And they are worth every single second.

Sorry so long!

Blogger Ann said...
My thoughts exactly!! What a great post. I want to be pampered. Can I forward your post to family and friends as a sublte hint... :0)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
love how you take my thoughts and put them into words.

Blogger Elle said...
Now here is what I am grateful for by not being pregnant. Weight gain, back aches, not being able to see my feet, morning sickness, lack of the alcoholic libation and a coffee or 3. I won't miss 2 am feedings. I won't miss all that little baby crap you have to buy. And who the hell thought of a wipe warmer? For those of you who have one or who registered for one I think I might just come over and egg your house for stupidity purposes.

What I want in pregnancy is certainty. In nine months that kid will come out. Sometimes sooner, maybe a little longer, but you have a general time frame on when the baby will be born.

Not a long post Jen, I don't want to be pregnant, I want attention. I am an attention whore sometimes.

I will admit that one of my best friends H is throwing my a shower on the 2nd. I wish you all could be there. Thanks H!

Blogger Rhyne & Jake said...
Elle - I am SOOOOOOO glad that you are back! See, I still have ECD after being home 2 months with my little ones! You bring a little (ok a lot)laughter to my world on every post!

As far as the preg vs adopt views, it couldn't have been said any better. Just a few notes . . .

I have been told by many family members and friends after our adoption was over that I had a glow about me and looked the happiest that they have ever seen me (probably because I was miserable and lifeless during the whole "waiting game"). So, although we may not get the glow before our children, you WILL have it no matter how tired you are once Pickle is home in your arms!!

The best part about an adoption shower is the fact that you CAN drink at your shower!!! Hey, how many pregnant women can have a room full of her girlfriends making a fuss over her while she's opening wonderful gifts and drinking fish bowl margaritas (FBM)?

Last and most important - there seems to be a bond with us "Moms". Most have been through the struggles of life in some way or another (fertility for me) and we've come out stronger than we could have ever imagined. Then we ventured on this journey of a lifetime (some around the world a few times), and have found ourselves thinking that we wouldn't have it any other way. Before, I wanted the experience of feeling pregnant. Now, I am oh so content in the way My children came into my life. I heard a song on the radio with the lyrics "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride". Now I find myself cheering on sidelines for all the other families that are on their own "journey".

Cheers and Happy (early) Birthday!!

Blogger Jenny said...
Happy B-day 2 days early too!!!

And loved it! Ahhh, the stupid couples shower that I heard my friends thought was a good idea because well....you know...

later aligator-J

Blogger 6blessings said...
Good post. I hate that blank glazed-over stare that you get when you start talking adoption. It is like anything else in life, until you've been there it's hard to understand it. I don't blame people for that, but they could be a little more considerate. I just got off the phone with someone who talked about her stuff forever, then when I mentioned the adoption, she slipped into the lack-of-attention zone.

Having had 4 bio children, two of those being twins, I have to agree with Jen too. Both roads have their ups and downs. Being eight- and-a-half months pregnant with twins is not ooh and ahh. It is ugh! Bringing twin babies home from the hospital and being up 23 hours a day every day nursing is just downright awful! However, you are right, I knew they were coming out in 9 months, give or take a few days. That is the good part.

Anyway, if I could see you, I would tell you how great you look and ask all about what new clothes Pickle now owns and throw you a shower. You deserve it!! Happy Birthday in 2 days!!

Blogger Rhonda said...
I loved this post. I always felt ripped off about not being pregnant, but the more I hear from mothers, the more I realize that pregnancy is glamorized. In fact, some expectant moms have told me they feel that there's something wrong with them when they don't enjoy every step of their pregnancy. I find that interesting.

Anyways, I agree. We should be PAMPERED.

Blogger Jennefer said...
Happy 30th Birthday today! I sent you an ecard- hope you got it! Have a great day! 6/22

Blogger Kelly said...
Happy Birthday and what a wonderful post. Thanks for that one!! I am adopting a baby girl from Vietnam and look forward to reading your blog.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006