Image hosting by Photobucket
Thursday, April 06, 2006
The Weekly Update
It's that time again. Time for the weekly update. This week's update is brought to you by...me. I type it so there.

I find it best that you grab yourself a nice glass of wine for this one. First, it may be a long one. And second, if you are anything like me you will need a drink. Wow, that might be insinuating that I have a drinking problem. In fact I do. I have no glass of wine sitting in front of me at the moment. (college humor: substitute wine for beer and no glass for one in each hand and you get the oldest college joke in the book)

I have quite a bit to write about so get comfy.

As far as agency info goes there really isn't much. We currently have 2 families in Khab doing their medical trip. The first is the oh so well known Doug & Candy. The second is the beautiful and vivacious Lisa W. If any of you read this I expect a full report on your children upon your return home.

I did get our paperwork sent off to the agency yesterday. I still have not heard if Olga received it or not. Of course the smart person would check the $40 FedEx tracking number. But let's face it people, I am working with limited brain capacity here.

Tuesday I purchased our airline tickets. I about had a heart attack when I had to hand over the credit card number on that one. Nothing like 2 1/2 weeks notice to fly international to jack up the price. For those of you who are truly interested you can check out our itinerary at Suzanne's website. This is the couple we will be traveling with. They live up by the Canadian border (lucky) and I can't wait to meet them!

We are fortunate enough that we will be home for Easter and in Russia for Orthodox Easter. This lessened the stress upon my good friend I. We were all a little concerned that we wouldn't be home for Easter causing 2 fewer bodies in the kitchen at the church that morning. Mmmm Pancakes!! We are still contemplating the possibility of attending service in Khabarovsk. I did do some reading on the service today. There are no pews in an Orthodox Cathedral (I knew that.) The service can run up to 3 hours long (I knew that too.) But here is what I didn't know, The service starts right after midnight on Easter. So we would start flying at 7:15pm on Thursday, stop flying at 4:20pm Saturday (sure we lose a day flying, but hey... it's my story.) Then we get to the hotel, have some food and maybe a nap, turn around and attend a 3 hour long church service while standing the entire time. I am thinking the babushkas will have to settle for me buying some icons later in the week.

The remainder of our 2 weeks until travel look like the following:

Tomorrow: Both have eye appointments in the morning, drive to Seattle to drop our Visa applications and passports off at the travel agent and pick up our plane tickets, stop for a quick lunch at Dicks. (yes, the famous Dick's, from the Sir-Mix-a-Lot song... "Go back the other way, we'll stop and eat at Dick's. Guess you have to be me.) Then head to downtown Seattle to pick up the expensive hair conditioner and skin cream. Drive back to Tacoma to be at the church at 6:15 to take our Sr. High youth on an all night lock out.

Saturday: Sleep, have dinner with Kathou and Paypay. Celebrate Paypay's birthday since they will be in Russia for it.
Sunday: Church in the am. D has his first softball game in the afternoon.
Monday, Tuesday: attempt life as normal
Wednesday: That one is a surprise. Check out Life of Elle sometime around the middle of next week.
Thursday: D's sister, niece and BIL arrive from CA. Maunday Thursday.
Friday: Good Friday.
Saturday: Tell everyone we are going to Easter Vigil service, but really end up hanging out at D's parent's house.
Easter Sunday: Easter breakfast with the youth. Ring handbells 2 services, visit my grandparents and dinner with D's parent's.
Monday - Thursday: PANIC.

Sleep is going to be a luxury at this point.

I want to thank all of you for your wonderful good wishes over the past 5 weeks. From the loss of A, to the referral of Pickle, to the excitement of travel. You have all been fantastic! I also want to thank those of you who have donated to "The Pickle Fund." I have been just so overwhelmed by your generosity. If any of you decide to do adoption fundraising please let me know. I would be happy to contribute in some way.

I have much, much more on my mind, but I think that I will save that for another post. Despite the limited brain capacity I still lay awake at night and think of stuff. In all reality I should just get up and write it down, but who am I kidding. It is cold outside of the bed.

Congrats to you newly home families (Lauri) and to those of you getting ready to come home (Jason & Melissa). Safe travels to those of you getting ready (Gaye & Andrew, Caroline & Blake.) And huge hugs to those of you still waiting. May your waits be shortened and all your pain be champagne.
5 Comments:
Blogger Lauri said...
Hope all goes well on your trip- sounds like you will be plenty busy leading up to it to take your mind off of things- When we visited the Church of christ in moscow- I too noticed that there were no pews.... we visited right when the service was starting and it was by far my favorite place in moscow- very serene

I cant wait to hear all about your trip & Pickle

Take Care & Safe Travels
Lauri

Blogger Maggie said...
You've got some busy weeks ahead of you. I hope everything goes smoothly. You're going to be doing your medicals in Khab when you visit Pickle right?

Blogger Jennefer said...
What exciting events await you. Try to get some sleep. I know it will be hard. I am anxiously awaiting news of your trip.

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Thanks for the well-wishes for our trip...its kind of weird that we will be flying back at the same time only over different oceans. I can't wait to hear all about Pickle and your trip. Best of luck to you...gaye

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
My grandmother was Russian Orthodox and every year we all go home to celebrate easter on that weekend. This is the first easter without her...

We used to all laugh about church on Sat eve, and talk about how we would "go next year". At her church, it starts sometime after midnight, for 2-3 hours, like you said. The neat part is when you walk around the outside of the church 3(?) times, and then wait at the door and ask to be let back into the church. After another 20-30 min of service, there is a big feast in the church hall. She would get home around 4AM. But that's not all... church would start again the next morning around 10AM and the service would be 'shortened' (because they were up the night before) to 1.5-2 hours. We would usually just go the morning of, but a couple of times we went Sat night.

A favorite childhood memory of mine are the easter egg hunts at her church! Her church did an extra fabulous job with hiding soooo much chocolate / marshmallow bunnies we would all go home with armfuls of loot. Probably an american thing, but sooo good.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006