Image hosting by Photobucket
Thursday, June 29, 2006
Captain Smartypants
Some of you may read Life of Elle (Jake follow that link <------------- right over there) and have heard mention D's renaming to Captain Smartypants. If you have not go on over to Life of Elle (there's that link again Jake) and read the story. Ok the story isn't quite that funny, but needless to say D was renamed.

The original plan was for him to only be Captain Smartypants on Life of Elle (hmm... link again), but in our haphazard driving around we got to talking. We really don't have much else to do. Anyway, we thought it would be funny if D CS started posting everywhere as Captain Smartypants. Of course then CS said that he would have to change his avatar (the little photo next to his name, for the parents). CS said he needed to find a little cartoon character with a cape and his underpants on the outside. Who does that sound like to you? You guessed it: Captain Underpants. So head on over to Protesting Stupidity and make CS feel better about himself (and further his slow moving plot at world domination) by giving him a comment or two. Lord knows you all have stepped up to the plate over here thus furthering my already exploding ego.

In honor of the name change I thought I would give you a taste of the stupidity I witnessed today.

At the end of the month our church sends out the monthly church newsletter. I create the fabulous publication (found here) and then the person I job share with (Jan) takes it to the post office to be mailed. Unfortunately Jan in Colorado taking care of her father. This means it is up to me to take the mailing (nearly 500 pieces) to the post office. One would assume that dropping off a mailing at the post office would not be that difficult. Oh how I was wrong. You see... we send it bulk mail. Thus requiring special instructions.

I phone Jan to find out how to do this and she gives me step by step instructions. I follow the instructions, head off to the post office and drop off my mailing. Lady says there is enough money in our account and I am good to go. So I think.

I get to work this morning and there is a voicemail from the bulk mail unit at the post office that says they mis-calculated the postage and I owe $5.21. I needed to come down and put money in the account so they can send it out.

No problem. Armed with a ten spot I stop by the post office during lunch. I waltz into the bulk mail unit and try to give the lady my money. She tells me I have to go into the actual post office because they only take checks in bulk mail.

I drive around to the front of the building and walk inside. My first clue that this was not going to be as easy as originally anticipated came when the inside of the post office was dead silent. Not even a postal worker whoring additional postage or insurance. I get in line. A long line. There is 1 postal worker.

To make a super long story short I waited in line for 45 minutes to give the post office $10!!!!! This was far worse than the 2 hours at homeland security.

While waiting I took the liberty to read the signs on the walls. I must say it is a pretty bad part of town when they actually have to post a sign indicating what the maximum sentence is for committing armed robbery on a US postal worker.
10 Comments:
Blogger The Belanich's said...
ummm... I clicked on your hyperlinks and it took me to a place about short stories.... are you changing your image? have a wonderful fourth of July weekend!

Sandy

Blogger Elle said...
I followed them all and they all go to my blog. interesting. I think your computer is out to get you too Sandy! :0

Blogger Chelsea said...
Love the new name! Loved it over at Life of Elle the other day but the new avatar really sets the standard for CS!!

Blogger Maggie said...
I don't know know about this Captain Smartypants thing. D may be smart, but he also spells "explode" with an "s".

Blogger The Belanich's said...
I swear my computer IS out to get me. It is not USER error hee hee. I just tried again, and it took me right to your site!
have a great fourth!
Sandy

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That post office thing would have made me SOO mad. I would have been mad at the time you said, "No problem" in your story. You are such a patient person.

Blogger Elle said...
truth be told I was none to happy about having to go back to the post office considering the church is not anywhere close to the bulk mail unit. What really burns me is I had to do that because of some government paid monkey can't do math!!! And I wonder why I have such a bad feeling towards postal workers

Blogger Rhonda said...
Does this mean that Pickle's full name will be Pickle Smartypants? He might get made fun of in school...

Anyways, your postal story would have made me go postal. In the post office. On the postal workers. Glad to see you got out of there without harming anyone.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hi guys!

This is Crystal (former keeper of "the list" and AIA grad) I just wanted to let you know I was reading. I just stumbled upon your blogs as I was trying to go through some of my old FERA mail (I just cannot seem to keep up anymore!! I'm trying to catch up so I can STAY caught up).

Anyhow, I so wish I had found them previous. I did catch up on this particular blog and I feel so bad that I have missed all this AIA happenings and wasn't around to tell you how sorry I am that it has been such a rough road for you. Chat is just at such a bad time these days between getting ready for bed and winding Lids down from the day. I will be keeping up with you now, though

Thank you, L for taking over the list for me as I just do not have the time these days to do it--it is hard to get to the computer during the day time and nights are limited!

On our end you can visit our website for updates on us (http://www.bodette.net --it's our all encompassing blog, photo album and website) and pictures of Lidia. We have big things going on right now but I won't go into detail here.

Let me just say I am THRILLED to see that you guys have your release letter and to see AIA people getting court dates. I cried the other day, reading the updated list and seeing all the good news! I must also tell you I cried when I watched your video of the first trip posted early in this blog. The sweet picture of Andrei (the Khab driver) was the kicker! He was such a nice little guy and I will never forget how proud he was to show us a picture of his little Maxim on his phone!!

Anyway, I am rambling, but *hugs* to you and your family and I will try harder to catch chat and get re aquainted with you all!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
P.S.

I hope you don't mind, i added your sites to my links on my blog/site --it you have any probs w/ it let me know and I will remove :)

Counter
Established March 19, 2006