Image hosting by Photobucket
Friday, July 21, 2006
Good Karma *updated*
I am thinking the Deee Lite video worked. Not only did it cheer me up, but it brought about fantastic things.

We got our pre-trial date this morning!!!!!!!! It will be August 1st. This is along with Jamie & Suzanne and Kathou & Paypay. The Washington contingent of AIA families is doing the collective happy dance today!!!!!

Of course the pre-trial doesn't come without a price for us. During my phone conversation with Olga earlier this week she asked us to do some FBI fingerprint checks just in case. She said that of the 3 families that have pre-trial on the 24th only 1 got asked for the checks. She said it would not likely happen to us, but just in case get it done. Guess what? We got asked for fingerprints. Fortunately, we don't have to have FBI checks. We can get them from our local police department. Whew!

So now I am frantically phoning the two local police departments to ask if they will do this. Of course I get a recording. I kindly leave a message at our city police department. Like always I am waiting for a return call. If I don't hear in the next hour or so I will try again and also try the county police department. They have to be in Alaska by Wednesday in order to get to Khabarovsk by the 31st.

Holy cow, I can't believe that this is finally coming to an end.

-----------------------------------------------------------
* In my utter excitement I forgot to mention what pre-trial means. The judge in Khabarovsk is doing this new thing where she schedules a pre-trial date. According to Olga this is just a date for her to confer with herself. From what we can figure she sits down to do a final review on all of our paperwork and actually schedule the court date. So assuming our fingerprint request gets there on time we will know our court date some time between July 31st and August 2nd. I say the 31st because remember Khabarovsk is 18 hours ahead of us. So it is tomorrow there now. The pre-trial doesn't mean we need to start packing, although with my unorgainized state of mind I should really start thinking about that.

An update on the fingerprints:
Our local police department said I needed to phone the City of Tacoma police department and what I need is a Visa Clearance letter. Isn't it nice that they seem to think they know what I need? I already have a Visa Clearance letter. So I phone CoT. The rude lady there tells me the quickest turn around on a fingerprint check is 4-8 weeks. And no amount of begging or offering of "expiditing fees" will sway her. I ask if the county does it. No. Is there a local buerau of investigation. No. What about the state? Well... they do it. Can I have their number? Well... I suppose. Thank you, you have been no help to me.

I phone Washington State Patrol. Recording. For Criminal Background checks press 5. *5* I'm sorry I did not hear your request. *5* I'm sorry I did not hear your request. (Arggghhh) *0* Ahh, magic 0 always works. Get the lady at criminal background, Lynette. Lynette is my new best friend. I explain what I need.

Lynette: Well that will take 2-4 weeks.
Elle: Can I get it any sooner? I will pay an expiditing fee if I need to.
Lynette: Well you can get it within 7-10 days.
Elle: any sooner than that? I have been waiting for 18 months and this piece of paper is standing in between me and my son. You are about to have a crying mommy. I need to have this piece of paper in my hand by Tuesday.
Lynette: Let me check with someone for you.
Elle: Please do.

*hold*

Lynette: Well... it seems that if you come in today and come back to pick them up we can get them to you by Tuesday.
Elle: Thank you Lynette. I'll be in as soon as I don't stink.

Mad dash to Olympia. Fingerprinted and $96 poorer mission accomplished! Thank God I didn't have to ask my social worker for anything. Otherwise you might find me face down in the not so hot tub.
26 Comments:
Blogger Carrie said...
Wow Elle! That's so great. (The court thing not the fingerprint thing.) Now what exactly is a pre-trial?

Blogger Chelsea said...
OMG!!! I am doing the happy dance for you!!! Good job CS for bringing the good karma around! I am so excited for you guys.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Very exciting. Congrats!

Blogger Suzanne said...
YIPEE! I am so glad you don't have to have FBI ones. We did ours (just in case) in May, and got them back in early July. Because I was doing the Apostille road trip anyway, for other documents, I took them along just because they were there. They don't look impressive at all. Just grubby cards with a rubber stamp mark on the back. Nothing to apostille even. We had notarized true copies made and apostilled those.

Anyway, great rejoicings! See you in Khab!

Blogger Jessie said...
Yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah!!! That is so awesome. Are you jumping out of your skin today?

Blogger Maggie said...
Good. (I did the fingerprint thing, too. It's not a big deal.)

Explain what the "pre-trial" date is. I never heard mention of that in my region.

Blogger Suz said...
I'm with many others here, I don't exactly understand what the pre-trial thing is? Does this mean you got your court date???

I think I need Captain Smartypants to send some good Karma courtdate stuff to Texas!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I am positively THRILLED for you!It is so great to see things finally moving.
Congratulations!
Mary

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
great news. i'm so happy for you and cs. have a great weekend!

Blogger Wendy said...
We ended up going to the State Crime Lab and getting our fingerprints plus a letter stating we were cleared. It took 20 minutes total and cost $5 each. They even notarized it for us. Maybe you ahve a crime lab nearby?

Wendy

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Congrats Elle and CS....may we all be in Khabarovsk together for one heck of an adoption celebration :o)

Blogger Liv said...
Every little bit of good news is a day closer. I am physically bursting for you Rhonda, and Jen.

Blogger Suzanne said...
Yes, it will be a grand Khab party. Isn't it amazing how slowly things move when we are composed and polite and then when we start to cry, things happen! The carrot is on the wrong end of the stick.

We did the State Trooper clearance as well, come to think of it. Now I am worrying that your fingerprint docs aren't the same as ours and she will probably throw us all out of court and slice our heads off too. What did K&E do for theirs? Since we are all from the same state, I bet she imagines that are docs will all look alike. Ack, something new to worry about.

I keep dreaming that we are in court and she commands "Bring us a Shrubbery". Ah, if it would only be that easy.

Blogger Deb said...
WOOOOHOOOO!!!! SO happy for you guys. It's so close now. I'm doing a happy dance to Deee Lite now for you.
Great to hear that your fingerprints will be there on time and for only $96 not bad.

Blogger Sig said...
YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!! Let's hear it for a pre-trial date ;) Lets hope the real court date is very soon after. I am doing the happy dance for you!!

Blogger Rhyne & Jake said...
OMG!! Yes, finally positive news is coming down the pike!!! Things just seem to be getting groovy around here!!! Crossing fingers and toes, and praying awful hard that the judge grants court dates for you all very soon!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Uncle Tom and I are SOOOO happy for you that things are finally coming together for you. Blessings on Lynnette for being so helpful. Great and exciting things are happening in this family! Yeah! Looking forward to seeing pictures of little Pickle. Love you, Aunt Jan

Blogger fuzzandfuzzlet said...
That is great news. I think you should bake Lynette cookies to take when you go pick up the finger prints :)


Did you REALLY tell her you would be there as soon as you don`t stink??? {{GG}}

Lori (spokane)

Blogger Rhonda said...
I'm doing the happy dance in Alaska for you. Because, where you go, I follow. So, I'm kinda also doing the happy dance for me too.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yay, progress!!
Serena

Blogger Elle said...
yes, I did tell the lady I would be there as soon as I didn't stink. I showered and got ready so fast I didn't even dry my hair. That is a huge deal for me.

Blogger Jenny said...
How did I miss this yesterday, I am totally slacking on my blog stalking.

OH ELLE!!! THis if wonderful news, thank freaking god!

Have a great great weekend.

Blogger SoFlaMom said...
Congrates to all the. The light at the end of the tunnel is gretting brighter!

SoFlaMom

Blogger Yeah So said...
Great News! Don't you hate trying to clamber over roadblocks! Never take no for an answer!!

Blogger The Belanich's said...
WONDERFUL NEWS!! CONGRATS!!!!!!!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Hoooray!!! This is fabulous news!!!!! I'm so excited for you guys!

Counter
Established March 19, 2006