Image hosting by Photobucket
Sunday, July 02, 2006
This is an Adoption Blog After All
I bet you are expecting some kind of super fantastic adoption news. Too bad for you... there isn't any. In fact the news is pretty crappy. We thought we were going to have our paperwork filed to court last week hurling us into the final stages of this nightmare journey, but unfortunately that wasn't to be. The committee that signs the children's medical release forms is still not signing. Evidently they didn't get their shipment of shiny new Peruvian Ink. The good new is our facilitator is on them like a leech. This woman will get the job done. I have faith in that.

On over at Soul of Adoption there has been a thread posted about what song describes your adoption journey. I have 2. The first is "Life Means So Much" by Chris Rice. This song played over and over when we were starting out journey. I felt such pity for myself in my inability to get pregnant. I was angry when I saw the teenage mothers, the women yelling at their children, the people who accidentally got pregnant. I had prayed so hard and for so long for God to make me a mother. I was angry at God for not answering my prayers. This song was like the first message the Lord sent saying, "Hey, I'm working on it." In fact I had mentioned before that we recently realized that Pickle's birthday is right around the time we felt this unmistakable call to adopt. Funny thing is "Life Means So Much" started playing in my car and it was then that I finally accepted what we were being led to do. The song still applies, but there is one that is a little more appropriate right now.

It is also by Chris Rice and on the same album as "Life Means So Much." It is "Belong." This song brings tears to my eyes just reading the words.

Fading memories ignored
I crawl across the forest floor
Pool reflects an orphan child
Dirty, lost, alone and wild
Fatherless and nameless still
Fallen heart and broken, will
there ever be a place where I belong

I cower 'neath the monster trees
And try to stand on tired feet
But gravity knocks me to the ground
Where I give up, and tears roll down
I claw the dust and beg the end
Curse the day that I began
to hope there'd be a place where I belong

I hear a sound I recognize
You lift my chin and seek my eyes
Song of love You sing to me
I ache to sing it back to Thee
"Father Love prepares a place
Brother Jesus leads the way
Follow to the place where you belong!"

How did I miss this wondrous song?
The forest sang it all along
"River rinses all your shame
Father offers you His name
Father Love prepares a home
Brother Jesus leads you on
Follow to the place where you belong!"

"Father Love prepares a place
Brother Jesus leads the way
Follow to the place where you belong
Follow to the place where you belong!"

This song describes my journey to my boy and my boy's journey to me. I feel knocked down and tired. I feel like there really is this monster looming over me. I cry out, "why was I picked for this journey? I can't do this!" But all the while my name is being called. And that place where I belong? It's motherhood. The place where Pickle belongs? Right here with me.

There is no more pity here. There is a tired and beaten down woman, but one that is damn determined to make it to the finish line.
15 Comments:
Anonymous Anonymous said...
I know first hand how interminable this process seems, but keep the faith... its so worth it. For me, my "adoption" song is Celine Dion's A New Day Has Come - to this day, almost a year after our son came home, I can't listen to it without tearing up. God bless. Anna

Blogger Rhonda said...
Love the song. Its definitely been quite a journey for you guys. I'll be so glad when Pickle is home.

Blogger Jenny said...
me too girlfriend, me too!

Blogger kirsten said...
we have felt a connection to some chris rice songs regarding adoption too. cool to see someone shares that with us.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
ACK!

we probably weren't filed then either

WHAA WHAAA WHAAAAA for all of us.

I am so done with waiting.

Blogger Deb said...
Praying for everything to be filed and that you would get a court date soon.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Those words are perfect for you!!

My adoption song is this Smiths song:

You just haven't earned it yet, baby
You just haven't earned it, son
You just haven't earned it yet, baby
You must suffer and cry for a longer time
You just haven't earned it yet, baby
And I'm telling you now ...

I'll tell you why
I'll tell you why

Today I am remembering the time
When they pulled me back
And held me down
And looked me in the eyes and said
You just haven't earned it yet, baby
You just haven't earned it, my son
You just haven't earned it yet, baby
You must stay on your own for slightly longer
You just haven't earned it yet baby
And I'm telling you now ...

You just haven't earned it yet, baby
Oh ...
You just haven't earned it yet, baby
Oh ...
Oh

(Smiths)

The thing I have to do to earn it is: PATIENCE. And I am working on that.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I'm so sorry to hear there's another delay. Maybe the 4th will be Pickle's own version of Independence Day.

Blogger Ann said...
Yes, you were chosen for this journey. But this journey is not for the meek and mild. We are the chosed ones, why I sometimes wonder, but chosen none the less. I hope Pickle is in your arms soon.

Blogger Ann said...
that was supposed to say "chosen ones"

Blogger Liv said...
E kind of picked our adoption song after the fact. I can't listen to this song anymore.

Beautiful by James Blunt

You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
I saw you face in a crowded place,
And I don't know what to do,
'Cause I'll never be with you.
You're beautiful. You're beautiful.
You're beautiful, it's true.
There must be an angel with a smile on her face,
When she thought up that I should be with you.
But it's time to face the truth,
I will never be with you.

Blogger Suz said...
I'm sorry you didn't get the good news you were hoping for, Elle. It will be a joyous celebration when it comes, yes it will!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
That song says it all!!!! I too have felt the very same feelings you have felt and are feeling but just remember time will soon solve all your frustrations!!!
Mom

Anonymous Anonymous said...
I know how it feels to wait. My journey was just short of two years. The song I loved was "On Eagles Wings" by Michael Crawford.
Take care, I hope he is home very shortly. Serena

Blogger Rhyne & Jake said...
Hugs and prayers to you!!! Soon, out of the blue, you will get that phone. I just have that feeling that something good is coming soon!!

Counter
Established March 19, 2006