Image hosting by Photobucket
Monday, July 10, 2006
Simple Wishes Quilts
I am forever trying to turn every adoption roadblock into a positive experience. Sure last week was a little bumpy for us and sure all the wrinkles haven't been ironed out yet, but I damned determined to make someone else's life just a little better.

I came up with the idea for Simple Wishes a few weeks ago. I sort of combined Stephanie's Warm Feet Project with the China adopters 100 good wishes quilt idea.

I came up with Simple Wishes Quilts. The idea is for the people who have been touched by adoption to touch the lives of those adopting. A little backwards I know.

The instructions for you, my readers, are to:

  1. Visit Simple Wishes Quilts to read about it (because I am lazy and don't want to post it all here)
  2. If you are an adoptive parent, a grandparent, aunt, uncle, friend, or anyone who knows someone who is adopting, has adopted or is adopted please consider sending me a Simple Wishes quilt square (or more, it takes more than one square to make a quilt.)
  3. Squares need to be 6" in white or off-white fabric. Write your favorite quote, saying, Bible verse, blessing or any other positive words to a parent-to-be in permanent ink on the square(s) and send them off to me.
  4. Take the time to consider nominating a family for a Simple Wishes Quilt.

This is yet another one of my ways of giving back to all of you who have helped me along this journey.

I have already received a nomination for one family without ever advertising this idea. And from a woman I have never met, but for a family you may already know. Nathan & Melissa Bridges are our first Simple Wishes Quilt nominees. Now I just need the squares to complete a quilt.

I know that with the number of readers we have I can make this project a success. You guys have touched my life now go touch the lives of others.
12 Comments:
Blogger Chelsea said...
This is such a neat idea! I am heading to my moms this weekend and low and behold she is teaching me to quilt. I am going to try and get her to make a square too!

Blogger Ann said...
That is an awesome idea. Do you have to be an adoptive parent already to participate. I would love to send you a square or two, but I am still in the waiting stage of our adoption.

Blogger Elle said...
You don't have to be an adoptive parent to participate. Anyone wanting to send good vibes to pre-adoptive parents can send a square or more! The more the merrier.

Blogger Maggie said...
What a beautiful and lasting idea. You're good people.

Blogger Suzanne said...
What a lovely idea. I will not be sending a square as it would be a rhombus and it would not be sewn, but stitch-witched and I am done with that for the year: http://jamieandsuzannegotorussia.blogspot.com/2006/07/what-i-learned-today.html However, it is indeed a lovely idea and you are a lovely person for thinking of it.

I nominate Doug and Candy.

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Elle...you continue to amaze me every day with your kindness & generousity. Roman and I will start working on some squares right away. I am sure he will be really helpful :)Can you email me your address? :) gaye

Blogger Yeah So said...
Yay crafts! I'm in!!
How about inspirational words too? Like Dream, Grow, Wish, etc.. that would be cute too...oh the possibilities. Can't wait to get home and start!

Blogger Elle said...
Anything Steph!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You are always thinking of others and blessing lives with your creative talents.

I am thinking this thing over. I don't have any material. Can you buy one square of material? I don't buy material so I don't know how it works. What is the smallest amount you can buy at once?

Blogger Elle said...
Jen the smallest you can buy is usually called a "Fat quarter" or "Quarter Flat" or a "Fat Eighth" A Fat Quarter/ Quarter Flat is 18"x22" pre cut and labeled as such. They are typically found on racks at the fabric store in the quilting section. They generally run about $1.49-$2.49.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Yeah! I even get to sound intelligent and knowledgeable about the correct name for my material purchase.

"I would like to purchase a Quarter Flat Thank you."

Woohoo!

Blogger Rhonda said...
I love the idea and I have some neat Alaska fabric around here somewhere.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006