Image hosting by Photobucket
Friday, July 07, 2006
Unexpected Miracles Mailbag
Someone posting as Cat made a comment on CS's last post that was chocked full of questions. We have received many of these questions from other people in various comments or emails. I thought I would take the time to answer them.

Before I do, I want to say thank you for all of your kind comments. We are doing ok. I won't say fantastic or well. Ok seems to be a pretty apt description for the moment. We seem to do the best when we are together. Shocking huh? I know this is at least the case for me. We did go on a date the other night. Did you know there are these big buildings with lots of seats and giant screens that serve overly expensive snack and show movies? I had never heard of such a concept. Seriously, the movie selection as of late has been rather poor, but we did make it to the theater to see Superman. I thought is was good despite the fact that I have never seen any of the Christopher Reeve ones. Please don't think less of me.

So back to the mail bag:

What is your agency telling you why the medical clearance letters for some children are being signed while others are rejected?

Pickle's medical release letter is not being rejected. The committee that signs the form is currently undergoing a personnel change and won't sign the letter until all the members are in place.

Why was there a delay in getting the medical release letter signed in the first place?


Remember me saying earlier that Pickle needed surgery? Well he had the surgery and everything went fine, but because of the surgery there was a delay in getting the release signed. Then the committee went with their little personnel change. Thus the whole reason for the delay.

How do you get through all of the waiting?

I read a lot info on Russian adoption (I mean a lot) to be aware of what might come up. I quilt, I garden, blog design, I work a day and a 1/2 at our church and I build stuff. I won't say this has been the easiest thing in the world, but you make it through one day at a time.

What one bit of advice would you give to families just starting out on this journey?

I have more than one very important piece of advice. First, learn all you can about international adoption, Russian adoption (if that is your country) and connect with people who are going through the process currently. Either people in your home town or through message boards, or blogs. They will be an huge resource.
The other bit is not to set goals. Don't expect something to be done by a certain date. I actually learned this when we were trying to get pregnant. I kept saying, "If I get pregnant this month the baby will be born this month and we can or can't do this." Then the month would pass and I would get more and more depressed. With the adoption I have tried very hard not to set any specific goals. This helps from them passing by without the resolution you want.
Understand that there is very little about this process that you can actually control. You really must let go and just go for the ride. It makes it much smoother. Notice I didn't say less painful.


The mail bag is always open so if you have questions please feel free to send them along. One more thing that gets me through is helping other families.
10 Comments:
Blogger Chelsea said...
Thought I would share, we have signed up for our adoption classes! They start next Thursday. I love the info I get from your blog, even though we will most likely adopt domestically, I think you can never have enough insight into this situation. Thanks for sharing.

Blogger Maggie said...
I know my circle of friends from my summer hosting group and my circle of blog friends has been invaluable. Including you!

Anonymous Anonymous said...
Elle: I think it is wonderful that you are willing to go out of your way to answer questions (some painful) in order to help others on their adoption path. As my grandmother used to say, you are storing up stars in heaven (which I pray you can trade for a medical release and paperwork filed to the court!). Know you are in our prayers.
Cathy

Blogger Jenny said...
I think having anyone who has gone through infertility and adoption or adoption period is helpful. I felt isolated and alone in my fertile friend world. I was the unique one, the odd woman out, the pity girl. In this world of adoption friends I feel much more understanding and attachment to. I deftinately think you need to have as much info as possible but don't expect to know everything cause well, you never will!

hand in there sweetheart, thinking of you often-Jenny

Blogger bethee said...
Go for the ride. Fantastic advice!

That was the hardest thing for me to do.

Hugs!!!

Blogger Rhonda said...
Your blog has helped MANY. It makes me laugh and cry, and best of all...its REAL. So glad that we've become friends in blog-land.

Anonymous Anonymous said...
You are the most heartfelt blogger that I know- like Rhonda said- REAL. You really do speak from your heart. That is why so many people love you. Thanks for being such a great support and help to others and me!

Blogger Rhyne & Jake said...
It seemed things slowed down alot last Summer with the Russian adoption process, but then it really picked up after all the officials came back from their vacations. I'm hoping the same is true again this year, and that soon there will be lots of referrals and court dates handed out to all the families waiting.

You have a wonderful positive attitude despite the rollercoaster ride that you have been on the past 18 months. You are doing the best thing with staying busy and not letting the waiting stop your daily life!!

Good news WILL be coming your way soon!!!

Blogger SoFlaMom said...
We waited a really long time for the last Dr. to sign the form. It drove us crazy! Hang in there!

Blogger Ann said...
Very good answers to some difficult questions. We always get the "why is it taking so long". We tried to give everyone an estimate, as to when we would travel. But for some reason it seems that people don't really listen. They keep asking the same questions again and again. I really hope that you get that call soon and your Pickle will be in your arms.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006