Image hosting by Photobucket
Monday, July 17, 2006
Hippies, and Rednecks and Butt-rock, Oh My!
Yeah... we cut out of town for a few days. We can't really afford to take a vacation, but we do have a tent and a camp stove and well... state parks are cheap. The annual Lavender Festival was in town in Sequim (just try pronouncing that one!) last weekend and I thought it would be fun to head on up to the peninsula and spend the weekend. I have always wanted to see the festival but always remember it is happening the weekend after. So this year I had a shining moment of intelligence and actually remembered that when it was. Last weekend I told CS we were going camping and that was the way it was going to be. So we started looking for a campground somewhere in the vicinity of Sequim. Somehow in that shining moment of intelligence I seemed to forget that the Lavender Festival was pretty popular and the likelihood of there being a campground within 50 square miles of Sequim wasn't looking too good.

Of course you know me, when I get an idea for something we have to do it. Since camping on the peninsula didn't look like a go we started hunting for any campground within a reasonable driving distance. This ruled out Eastern Washington. This left one other choice. The beach.

I love the beach. If it didn't rain 360 days a year on the coast and if you could actually find a job in one of the coast towns I would move there. However, it does rain 360 days and the economy is pretty depressed. Lucky for us there is a great campground in a town called Westport that had openings on short notice.

So Friday night we packed up the car and headed out to the beach. Great campsite! We found an area of the campground that was tents only so no RV's nearby and our site was quite nice. We were even able to have a campfire!

Now being the less than intelligent people we are due to copious amounts of paperwork (we used to be smart once) we forgot books. Normal and smart people would bring a book to read. Did we? oh no. Our entertainment consisted of a deck of cards, yahtzee and the rednecks across the way. Complete with gigantic jacked up 4x4 truck and about 6 couples camping on 2 sites. To be fair they were polite, quiet, and generally entertaining. Especially when overhearing the story that the monster truck got stuck in the sand. (I'll post a photo of this beast when I get home) Of course the rednecks were so kind as to share their music with us (at a reasonable volume.) Of course the morning music choice was country (not my favorite) and the evening choice... butt-rock. Yes people, I spent my evenings reliving my youth listening to Quiet Riot. Lovely.

The other bit of entertainment were the hippies in the site next to the rednecks. Now they weren't really hippies per-se, but they did have a U of O sticker on their car and let's face it... Eugene=Hippy. Sorry Nancy-Mom. They were high class hippies though. Brought a bottle of wine and everything. Wish I would have thought of that. The other thing they brought that struck me as odd was they brought a 5 pound bag of baby carrots. Ok, it might not have been 5 pounds, but it was big. Here we are feasting on hot dogs, chips and beer and they have wine and baby carrots. What kind of campers are those. Really.

I am going to include a few photos now that I am home.

This is Little Richard's House of Donuts. No, we didn't actually see Little Richard, and we didn't actually partake of his confections, but we have had the donuts before and they are quite good.


To make up for having to look at the monster truck we happened to be in town during a hotrod show. Hotrods + beach + sun = 1 very giddy Elle!







Just to prove we went to the ocean, here is CS. He actually got his feet wet in the water. Amazing! He never does that. Seeing as the ocean in our part of the world is about 42 degrees and all.






So all in all we had a fantastic weekend. And for the hippies and rednecks... they were very nice camping neighbors, but it makes for a good story.
7 Comments:
Blogger Deb said...
Sounds like you had a great time. Glad you got away for awhile.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
sounds great. when we were camping a few weekends ago our neighbor (remember this is 125 miles from our home) was someone I occasionally have to work with at my company. we even checked in at the same time! small world!

Blogger Carrie said...
I love the pacific coast. My honeymoon trip was a drive up the Oregon coast stopping at quaint towns to spend the night in rooms overlooking the ocean. Beautiful!

BTW, I always take a huge bag of baby carrots when ever we take a trip or go camping. Costco sells a 5lbs bag of organic ones for a great price and the kiddos love them! (I admit that I do have some hippy tendencies though)

Anonymous Anonymous said...
How fun! Can't wait to see the monster truck!

Blogger Lauri said...
Looks like fun.. nothing like a weekend of people watching... cant beat that type of entertainment

Blogger Maggie said...
Sounds like a nice weekend.

Blogger Ann said...
Sounds like a good time. Since we can't afford a real vacation this year b/d of adoption expenses we were thinking of doing the same. so I may have camping vacations stories in September too. But wait that's hurricaine season here, so that might be outa the picture too.

Counter
Established March 19, 2006