Image hosting by Photobucket
Saturday, April 15, 2006
Language Lessons
First of all... Christ is Risen!! (to which you all answer, "He is risen indeed!!") Of course this is for my Christian friends. To my Jewish friends I wish you blessings this Passover and for my non religious friends I wish you warm and joyous Spring days.

Yes, I say Christ is risen today because in our church we celebrate the resurrection on Easter Vigil. It seems strange that we observed Good Friday just yesterday and the next day we are pulling the guy out of the tomb, but that is what we do.

D's sister and brother-in-law arrived on Thursday from California. In tow was our 3 1/2 year old niece B. She is currently the only grandchild and quite aware of that fact. For 3 1/2 she is incredibly smart.

Yesterday afternoon D and BIL were in the living room (at D's parents house) playing xbox. I tried to sit in the chair and read, but that just was not going well. I thought I would use my time to do one of my Russian language lessons. I have 2 of the lessons loaded onto my iPod. So B comes into the room and asks, "Uncle D, what is Ammie Missy doing?" D replies she is listening to music. (He didn't know I was listening to a lesson) A little while later she comes over to me and says, "I don't hear any music." She gets right in my face. "Ammie Missy, I don't hear any music."

So I started talking to her in Russian. She looked at me like I had 2 heads. Then I put one of the earphones in her ear. She heard the person speaking Russian and then I would repeat it. Then she would try to repeat it. The funniest part was at one point the speaker says, "now say please." Be says, "Please," in English. She thought the female speaker was me.

She actually was picking up some of the words. She can almost say "excuse me" and "please." When she couldn't repeat what the speaker was saying she would say, "Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers." It was hilarious!!!

When we were done with the lesson she crawled up into my lap and we listened to music. She laid there for about a song and a half. I guess she wasn't too impressed with Teddy Gieger. I told her his "Confidence" song was my favorite. Her reply, "my favorite is playing ball with Papa" and off she went.
8 Comments:
Blogger Liv said...
Kids are fantastic. We tought Dani a few Russian words in preparation for our adoption and even though it is delayed indefinately she still rarely says 'please' and 'thank you' in English.

I have a question for you. What have you done with A's pictures? My dad asked me what he should do with the picture of Lana that we gave him, and I didn't know what to say. I don't know what to do with the ones that I have either.

Blogger glo said...
He is Risen Indeed. In fact I am off to church myself here in just a short while.

I wish you a very exciting trip to Russia and a wonderful beginning of welcominglittle Pickles into your world.

Blogger Elle said...
Liv,
I have one photo left at work. The rest are all packed up into a box. D kept his on his bulletin board at work too.

Blogger A Room to Grow said...
Michael and I just started to go to church. We went on Palm Sunday (didn't want to be complete posers and start on Easter Sunday tomorrow). We are trying the Catholic thing right now because that was what Michael was raised with, and all of his family still go to church. I wasn't raised with religion, except for a few days a year when we went with Grandma to her Russian Orthodox church. Looking forward to learning something new... making friends...

Blogger sandy said...
Thank you Elle, for the Mother Teresa quote. That's how I feel! I have the Russian lessons too... the Pimsleur Basic set, which is not too informative but at least I'll know how to say hello, where's red square, and wouldn't you like something to eat?. The kids do pick up on it fast, after they stop screaming from being tortured by it in the car. =) Happy Easter to you and yours.

Blogger Gaye and Andrew said...
Happy Easter!! Good luck to you guys as you travel next week to meet Pickle! I am so excited for you :) Gaye

Anonymous Anonymous said...
We are so excited for you. And we will be praying that your trip from beginning to your homecoming with Pickle goes well. I know that you will be meeting Pickle, seeing 8 different docs, will you be staying over there for several weeks? I can't remember the schedule.
Loved hearing about B. She is so cute. I wish we could see her and all of you more often. Love you, Aunt Jan

Blogger Rhonda said...
He is risen!

I wonder if the Peter Piper response will work for me while I am in Russia. Too funny! I can't believe its only four days away for you guys. I am SO excited :)

Counter
Established March 19, 2006